• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 95 Oil Filter equavalent

craigf

NAXJA Forum User
My oil filter is due for replacement and was wondering if anyone knew of an equavalent replacement. It is a Mopar product with part number 0528 1090. It seems slightly longer (about an inch) than the oil filters which are listed by some other manufacturers. I can live with a longer filter as i would like to swap like for like, regardless of whether the OE is shorter.

Mobil-1 M1-204 or K&N 2004 I think on the K&N, all I have are Mobil filters on the shelf for all three jeeps.

I been using Puralator filter for a Ford 5.0ltr on mine for some time. They are bigger than the one speced for the 4.0ltr. Maybe you have one for a different Chrysler moter on it. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that most Chryslers for quite a while used the same size of mount with the size of the filter element being the only difference.

Take a look at the bottom of the page http://yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html - the 4.0L HO engines (XJ 1991-2001) all used the same filter and you can replace it with the larger 1-quart filter.

The Purolator and Mobil1 filters referenced above are similar and will work fine on the HO engine. I prefer the WIX 51515 filter available from NAPA, but they all share the same thread.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Nice site. About how much more oil can you fill when using the larger filter? 1/2 quart more I've heard before - right or wrong?

I'm reffering to the "Larger capacity substitute for 1991+ motors" filters you have listed.

Thanks!

Thanks.

Stock filter is 1/2-quart. The bigger filters are 1-quart, so yup, you get an extra 1/2-quart of oil.

Jim

The NAPA number is 1515 for the Ford filter. It is made by Wix.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
The NAPA number is 1515 for the Ford filter. It is made by Wix.
You're right - 51515 was the Wix number I used for years.

Jim

Best filter for the money is supposed to be the Napa Gold 1515, made by Wix as mentioned above. There was a guy a couple years back who tested and took a part a bunch of filters, and there were a lot of replies to his threads, and they found all kinds of problems with most of the filters out there. Final concensus, if I remember correctly, is that the two top ones were the Napa Gold and the Mobil 1, and the Napa one cost less than half what the Mobil 1 cost.

Also, I may be wrong on this, but it seems like the Napa filter is not listed as the replacement filter for the XJ, so you need to ask for it by number.

Yeah, this Mobile 1 filter was around $9.00 or so! But I don't have any Napa's local so......hopefully, eventually, a Napa will show up so I can get the gold/wix type :)

Anyone use a Wix 51773(it's what the ford guys use for a filter bigger than stock)? It's identical to the 51515 except that it is about an inch longer. Probably close to double the capacity of the stock 4.0 filter.

Had I known that my jeep could use the ford filter I would have gone ahead and used a 51773(I have a case of them for my other truck) when I changed my oil last weekend. I didn't even bother checking the thread and gasket size when I bought a filter for it.

Here are the data sheets for the 51085(stock Jeep) 51515(stock ford) and the 51773(2qt ford)

Part Number: 51085 UPC Number: 765809510852
Principal Application:Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles (91-06), Mitsubishi Eclipse (95-99); Caterpillar 3 Series Excavators, 9 Series Loaders

Closed Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 3.790 Outer Diameter Top: 3.660 Outer Diameter Bottom:Thread Size: 3/4-16 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/28 Burst Pressure-PSI: 365 Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 20
Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Part Number: 51515 UPC Number: 765809515154
Principal Application:Chrysler Family of Cars/Trucks (57-70), Ford Family of Cars/Trucks (57-00), Mazda Trucks (94-00), Toyota Landcruiser (71-96) - (Two Quart version is 51773) 2/20=13/23
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 5.178 Outer Diameter: 3.660 Thread Size: 3/4-16 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Beta Ratio:Burst Pressure-PSI: 270 Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Part Number: 51773 UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
Closed Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 6.982 Outer Diameter Top: 3.663 Outer Diameter Bottom:Thread Size: 3/4-16 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Burst Pressure-PSI: 225 Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 30

The 51773 has a lower burst pressure and a higher Micron rating. The burst pressure I don't really consider a big deal, if you are building enough pressure to burst oil filters you have other problems you need to worry about. I still consider the micron rating low enough, but not sure if it's worth the extra capacity or not.

Back