• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar Tow Hooks

Townie

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed Mopar tow hooks on 97+ XJ's? Any tips would be appreciated. And yes, I know they're expensive & not as strong a C 4x4's. I want as clean a bolt-up as possible.

The tow hooks that Mopar sells, and those from the aftermarket are virtually identical. The only difference I can see between them is the brackets that Mopar uses are LESS STOUT than some of the aftermarket guys sell.

In essence, I am saying don't feel that anything but Mopar will be a half-assed installation. Several of the aftermarket ones are equal to or better than the stuff Chryco offers, and will look just as good once installed.

Check around......

From what I've read; removing the front bumper is difficult on late model XJ's; some of the aftermarket tow hooks require grinding down bumper brackets, cuttting the air dam, and not being able to replace plastic fasteners. This is what I'd like to avoid...

Why didn't DC include anchor/tie down points as standard? What a joke

Townie said:
From what I've read; removing the front bumper is difficult on late model XJ's; some of the aftermarket tow hooks require grinding down bumper brackets, cuttting the air dam, and not being able to replace plastic fasteners. This is what I'd like to avoid...

The Rusty's and C4x4 brackets are exact clones of the factory brackets, but thicker material. The factory hooks require cutting the air dam, at least on the '84-'96 models. Don't recall if that's true for the '97+ ... I haven't installed a hook kit on one of the newer ones.

I didn't like the idea of cutting the air dam either, but if you are careful, the cut is not visible with the hook installed. I used a hacksaw blade not installed in the hacksaw. I installed the C4x4 on my 89 and the good thing about them is an additional small angle that bolts to the front cross brace for additional support. It was not clear to me that others have this. No removal of plastic fastners, grinding of bumper brackets etc was needed on the 89.

Back