• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock krawler 3 link....reviews

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well right now im looking for a long arm set up. ive got about 6 inches of lift, with short arms. i have rustys LCAs which are built for 6 in. lift, and stock UCAs...yea my pinion angle is jacked. so i have the option of getting new UCAs for about 150, go through the install, and still have crappy short arms, and a rough ride. or spend about 500 and have long arms, more flex, and a lot better ride.

i dont have the money for any of the crazier long arm kits, like REs. but the rock krawler seemed perfect for me...especially the price.

so welding isn't a problem for me, but how hard is the install, and is it a pretty decent set upHasta

I like my RK Long arms...my one buddy has the TnT arms, but I would choose my RK arms any day over the TnT. I just don't like the idea of having to take the front suspension down in order to service the t-case or tranny.

HPIM1192.jpg

Just did the install today. Fairly straight forward, everything lined up & worked as to be expected.
The biggest pain in the a$$ for me was cutting the stock LCA mounts off the frame...... i was wishing i had a plasma cutter.

I am thinking of cutting the radius mounts off my lowers, and just buying there upper and the frame mount with hiem. Looks solid, Pics of the mounts and install anybody?

have them. wheel the crap out of them. get awesome amounts of flex.
great ride on the road. strong as hell. cheap.
the only hard part of the instalation is cutting off the lower control arm mounts and installing the upper control arm.
and take your time welding the lower frame mounts on. remember its only sheet metal...

get them. you wont regret it.
-Shomsky

andrew2516 said:
I like my RK Long arms...my one buddy has the TnT arms, but I would choose my RK arms any day over the TnT. I just don't like the idea of having to take the front suspension down in order to service the t-case or tranny.

It takes 15 minutes to drop the tnt skid. I've done it on the side of I-95 in the rain.

I'd rather have the tnt mounting system, a buddy ripped the rk 3 link off the rails several times before switching to tnt.

I have a friend getting ready to buy the RK kit. Where is the best place to buy it currently?

BlackJax said:
It takes 15 minutes to drop the tnt skid. I've done it on the side of I-95 in the rain.

I'd rather have the tnt mounting system, a buddy ripped the rk 3 link off the rails several times before switching to tnt.

Well he's doing something wrong and maybe shouldn't be welding...

This thread can and probably will turn into a large argument pretty soon... but the way I see is it Radius arms only mount to the frame in (2) places... RK's 3Link = 3, FT's LA = 4... I just like that more.

Also with the 3link you do not have any binding thoughout flex.

I've wheeled mine hard and had no issues. Also the new RK krawler joints will not be loud.. all they are is (2) bushings sandwitching a ball... so no noise.

Best place to buy is probably DC4WD.com

uncc civilengineer said:
Well he's doing something wrong and maybe shouldn't be welding...

I highly doubt it's his welding skill. He's been welding for 13 years and is currently employed by the military as an underwater welder. He claims their materials RK uses in their mounts are inferior. The rails were sleeved and he welded them directly to the rails and then boxed them in with the sleeves.

RK did offer to replace the mounts, but he went TNT instead.

Not trying to start anything, just sharing the wealth so to speak. ;)

inferior mild steel? Weird.

I have ran mine now for almost 2 years with zero problems.

I'd LOVE to see some pics of how your buddies mounts got ripped off the rails several times.

I do not have any, but for the past two years I have run with some people who have them in Moab. They flex great. When it comes to long arms they are an option in my book.

BlackJax said:
I highly doubt it's his welding skill. He's been welding for 13 years and is currently employed by the military as an underwater welder. He claims their materials RK uses in their mounts are inferior. The rails were sleeved and he welded them directly to the rails and then boxed them in with the sleeves.

RK did offer to replace the mounts, but he went TNT instead.

Not trying to start anything, just sharing the wealth so to speak. ;)

All I can say about that is LOL...:clap: you said they were ripped off.. not that the mount broke. That's a welding issue my friend...

As for RK replacing the mounts.. I mean come on you could make them in a matter of minutes if he's who you say he is... But really that's definetly a reason to go spend $1000.00 on another setup over 50.00 of steel ( if that)...

EDIT: I feel sorry for the military if that's the case...

BlackJax said:

ive jumped my xj at pismo, wheeled the rubicon with them, etc...
my welds look like bird crap gorilla droppings and no cracking, no tearing, no nothing. ive just started to weld about a year ago and i installed my rk setup about 6 months ago. so yeah...
the rail? you mean the sheetmetal some call a frame? i would think that the "frame" would rip out/off if anything, but i dont know.

i like it and would recomend it.
-Shomsky

DC4wd still advertises the regular price on the website, I guess its time to give them a call :cool:

troy6187 said:
the rk kit is no longer weld on...the brackets aere now bolt on. i installed it a few months ago on mine and love it. dc4wd was the cheapest at the time.

Yep, the only welding involved is the crush collars/sleeves into the unibody rail.

BlueCuda said:
DC4wd still advertises the regular price on the website, I guess its time to give them a call :cool:

Again, thats how DC works. Call him up for the real deal.:peace:

The mounts ripped in half. The welds were not the issue, they stayed put. It's the material itself that was the weak point. He is probably the best welder I know. I've been welding since I was 11 years old.

Back