• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spider gears?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
how hard are spider gears to swap on a dana 35?

looking at a truck to buy, has some off road body damage, some dents in the drivers door, and the rear spiders on the D35 are shot,

what else should i look for?

Thanks

Trent

woops force of habit.... i usually call anything thats not a car a truck...

it is a cherokee, a 1990

does anyone know anything? I've never worked on a rear diff b4, how hard is it to swap gears?

and if this truck needs more, how hard is it to swap a rearend?

First off, remove the diff cover, drain fluid. Remove wheels and drums. Remove the cross shaft. Push in the axle shafts. The C clips will fall out. Remove axle shafts. Remove the spider gears that the cross pin went through. Be carefull, they have thrust washers on them, dont loose them. Remove the side spider gears. These also have washers on them, once again, dont loose them. Replace broke/worn spider gear, and reassemble. Perty easy.

Here is a pic of what you will be working with, except this is a D30 carrier. You do not have to remove the carrier from the rearend though.

100_2829.jpg

why not? seems to be plug-n-play but like I said I have no experiance working on these

Both of those ads were carriers, not differentials. They have the spider gears in them, so sure, you could order one of those and replace your spiders fairly cheaply that way. New carrier isn't as simple as just a plug-n-play operation either, since you have to shim it correctly and I'm pretty sure you'd have to re-set the gears.

Just replace the spiders or install a lunchbox locker...but don't spend too much money on it. It IS a D35, after all.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Both of those ads were carriers, not differentials. They have the spider gears in them, so sure, you could order one of those and replace your spiders fairly cheaply that way. New carrier isn't as simple as just a plug-n-play operation either, since you have to shim it correctly and I'm pretty sure you'd have to re-set the gears.

Just replace the spiders or install a lunchbox locker...but don't spend too much money on it. It IS a D35, after all.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
Thats pretty much the way it works right there. If you replace the carrier you're going to have to re setup the gears. That is something the average Joe can't do you need special tools, and the know how to do it. A buddy of mine has a ZJ that needs a new carrier, and we have pretty much come to the conclusion that it's going to be cheaper over all to just put another axle in it. Now if either one of us knew how to do gears, and had the tools to do it that would be a different story.

Yucca-Man said:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

would the rear end out of an '88 wagoneer ( looks liek an xj) work? theres one down the road from me for 300$ obo cause the trans and xfer case leak and it overheats. but the axles are still good :cool:

just wondering.

and trying to get thsi truck back on the road by way of the the most economical means given I only make 6.75 an hour.

-Trent

Back