• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeal, seized pulley?

Tantric XJ

NAXJA Forum User
A horrific squeal has developed and I am trying to locate it. I though it may be the AC pulley bearings but after pulley the compressor it is hard to tell. Any ideas or advice? Thanks

If you spray some water on it and it stops, it's the belt. If you have a length of hose you can use it as a stethoscope to localize the noise. A hose doesn't hurt as bad as a screwdriver when you get it in the fan. Remove the belt and give everything a spin. A bad idler pulley is common, as is a seperating harmonic balancer causing the belt to be skewed.

Check the bearings in the idler pullys. A fully seized pully will burn through a belt in short order (five minutes or less,) and you won't be able to turn it by hand.

Note that if the idler pully below the aircon compressor is losing its bearings, you will likely have to replace the entire bracket to service it. If you do, I'd like to talk to you about the old one - I'd like to redesign the thing to take a serviceable bearing.

5-90: I replaced the a/c bracket which included the fan shaft/bearing assembly. Ive remvove the shaft from the housing and found.....that the bearings are not replaceable. Im sure you know this.

If your looking for "parts' to come up with a "fix" your more than welcome to have these parts if you cover the shipping.

Lester

I've read about replacing the compressor, which I've never used, with a "delete pulley". Does anyone know more about this or have part numbers?

here this was just discussed 2 months ago. this 100%works on older xj's but unkown on 96ish+. there are some links in the link of actual step by step pictures (from jeep forum) but proceed with caution! the guy that tried this on his 01 never reported back? mike

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907023

Last edited:
ok tantric got his delete pulley and is having trouble fitting it, rear hole is off. pulley is larger and wider and alignment is off. parts america shows it fitting a 91-93 cherokee that is part # 34171. so what changed between 93 and 94? anybody have answers.

ptf18 said:
5-90: I replaced the a/c bracket which included the fan shaft/bearing assembly. Ive remvove the shaft from the housing and found.....that the bearings are not replaceable. Im sure you know this.

If your looking for "parts' to come up with a "fix" your more than welcome to have these parts if you cover the shipping.

Lester

Love to, and I'd planned on covering shipping anyhow.

I'd need you to hold on to it for just a bit to - we're getting ready to move house (what a pain in the arse.) After that, I'll give you a new address, and you can let me know what shipping would cost (best rate - I'm in no hurry...) and I'll get you covered for it.

I isolated my noise by removing the belt and starting it up (momentarily of course) but it gave me enough time to isolate it to the water pump which had only 30k on it. Initially it wasn't even in my equation as a suspect.

Back