• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THE absolute BEST overall setup. (70% Road and 30% Off-road)

CLTSV650

NAXJA Forum User
Help me build my future post-97 XJ.

I plan to be practical on the road as a DD and dangerous on the trail. 70% road/ 30% off-road. What would be the best QUALITY/PERFORMANCE components for:

1.Suspension (OME, RE, rough country, etc...)
2.Suspension height
3.Tire \ size
4.Wheel \ size
5.Bumpers
6.Any powertrain accessory
7.Any other accessory

Price is definitely a factor. So on a scale of 1-10:
If component1.performance = 10 and component1.price = 10 and component2.performance = 9 and component2.price = 5 then I want to purchase component2!!!

I'm thinking OME ~ 3" / 31x10.50x15 / Crager soft 8's 15x8 . I have no idea about the accessories.

Good luck with this...... sorry i cant help. Im too lazy & whole component thing confused me.:D

1.DPG offroad RE/OME hybrid
2.4"
3.32"
4.15x8
5.Anything with a winch up front/tire carrier in the back
6.Bored TB, performance headers, 2.5" exhuast all the way back, intake of some sort (snorkel or cowl style intake)
7.Selctable lockers front and rear, mad beefy steering, DPG crossmember skid, mopar front skid, skidrow gas tank skid, LCA skids, front and rear diff guards

Sorry, the answer to your question that will satisfy "your wants/needs" is non-existent.
We all use our rigs our own way, sure there is some consistency but,....
If you haven't experienced what an XJ is capable of first hand, go with what your thinking, it's a good start.
As your driving skills improve and you become familiar with it's new behaviour, you will understand what needs to be changed.
31x10.5s and 3" of lift is a very safe point to start,especially if you are going to daily drive it.
Search this forums threads for all your questions, there is a wealth of information at your finger tips.

Cheers,.......

:wave: Well I'll just tell you what I have on my own 70/30 rig that gets me to and from work and around town, and also gets me into inhospitable territory.

1/2. Suspension = RE 3.5" Superflex kit w/ full leaf packs (part # RE6030)
3. Tire size = 31x10.50 (Interco TrXus MTs, for the record)
4. Wheel/size = Cragar Soft 8s in 15x8".
5. Bumpers = As yet unseen, but planning on JCR's Prerunner Front and Stage 3 Rear bumpers (parts #[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] 1XJFPRE and [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2XJRST3, respectively).
6. Drivetrain > powertrain: On a '97+ you'll likely need an SYE. I would recommed RE's SYE kit and a Tom Woods CV driveshaft. But install the lift first and play it by ear. In addition to #6, regearing is always a good idea. On a 4.0L, regearing from 3.55 to 4.10 would help you get your low end power back as well as help your gas mileage.
7. Additional accesories are really up to you. Rock rails are always a good investment. As for powertrain, a bored TB and TBS seem to make Jeeps run like they should. For a 70% DD, selectable lockers probably will prove unnecessary, and more hassle than their worth. I have yet to need one.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

PS - I run RE Monotube shocks on the setup listed above and am extremely pleased with the ride.

Also, to set the record straight before I get flamed, the necessity of lockers really depends on what you're planning to get into in the 30% of drive time you intend to spend offroad. Personally, I've yet to get myself into a situation where the TrXus MTs and correct throttle control and manuevering couldn't get me out or over. Granted, the time will likely come, but it hasn't.... yet.

TrueBlue, I was right there with you on lockers for a long time and then I had situations come up on several different wheeling trips where a locker would have gotten me past an obstacle. After I installed my Aussie it made a BIG difference. Things I had to give a lot of throttle and manuvering before now I could virtually crawl over. For a DD and not much cash, a lunchbox locker or powertrax works fine.

Eventually, you realize the need for a locker.

I'd change the tires to BFG ATs.....and you cant go wrong with OME 3"...OME shocks....JKS ACOS....JKS boomerang shackle for the rear, JKS BPEs...JKS Quicker discos....some YJ brake lines....you dont need a $300 Tom Woods shaft, you can do the Front DS swap....for bumper, check out Nates4x4.com....rock sliders, AJs Off Road....

Cant go wrong with anything from DPG offroad....Dirk is the man....

As it was mentioned, it all depends on what you are planning to use the Jeep for. You said 70/30, but what does that 30 actually consist of?

It may not be considered the "coolest", but your BEST starting point would be GOOD front and rear recovery points and armor (sliders, bumpers, skids). Put some good all terrains on it, and maybe some lockers and have fun. Not only will you be surprised on where a stock XJ will go (especially with protection, so you don't worry about the body the whole time), but this also helps you really learn to drive off road.

Now, I'm not saying don't lift it...Suspension and tire size will all depend on your needs. Wheeling it at stock height will help give you a better feel for what you actually need. Remember bigger isn't always better! 3", 31s, locked F+R will out perform 4.5", 33s, open, in about every situation, and at about the same overall cost in many cases.

Since this is a totally subjetive question, and I've spent numerous hours and many dollars building mine to satisfy me:

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html
4.0L I-6 "High-Output" engine
Ceramic-coated 1999 XJ Exhaust manifold
Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler (p/n 942451)
1-quart oil filter
AW-4 4-speed Automatic transmission
NP231 "Command-Trac" transfer-case (2.72:1 lo-range)
PORC SYE
Rubicon Express RE6130 4.5" Super-Flex lift
- Rubicon Express Trackbar Brace
- RE Control Arm Drop Brackets
- JKS Quicker Disconnects swaybar disconnects
- DPGOffroad Swaybar Disconnect Cables
Dana30 High-Pinion front axle, 4.56 gears
Dana44 rear axle, 4.56 gear
YJ Wrangler e-brake cables
Extended rear brakeline
32x11.50x15" Dunlop Mud Rovers
15x7" AR767 rims, 4" backspace
Rock-Rash Step-Rails
Custom rear storage boxes
Thule Rack - bike, snowboard, storage box
BPI Fab front Bumper with D-Rings
New (to me) factory fuel tank skid
Air-Conditioned Cupholders

Currently missing - lockers. Then again, experience shows me that "30% off-road" is usually a radical overestimate in most cases.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

tupton said:
TrueBlue, I was right there with you on lockers for a long time and then I had situations come up on several different wheeling trips where a locker would have gotten me past an obstacle. After I installed my Aussie it made a BIG difference. Things I had to give a lot of throttle and manuvering before now I could virtually crawl over. For a DD and not much cash, a lunchbox locker or powertrax works fine.

Eventually, you realize the need for a locker.
Oh I agree. One of these days I'll get myself in a position where I know a locker would solve all my problems, and that'll be the day I decide to buy one. :dunce:

PS - Tupton, was it you in that one video that said "I need a locker, damnit!"?

TrueBlueXJ said:
Oh I agree. One of these days I'll get myself in a position where I know a locker would solve all my problems, and that'll be the day I decide to buy one. :dunce:

PS - Tupton, was it you in that one video that said "I need a locker, damnit!"?

Yeah, that was me. That was up at East Lynn on one of the harder trails. I eventually made it without getting the strap, but a locker would have made it a piece of cake.:smoker:

Im with YuccaMan.. Build it to suit your needs we dont know what you wheel..

But If you want a little advice here's what I've figured out/ observed:

1. DONT start modding it if you're not ready for it to turn into a bottomless pit.. First it's 31's, 33's, 36's, etc... it never ends!

2. If I purchased a DD XJ like you're talking about and I only planned for it to be a weekend warrior every once in awhile here's exactly what I'd do:

OPTION A.
1. OME HD lift (OME shocks, Adj. Trackbar)
2. Moabs and BFG AT's or MT's
3. Lock the rear (probably 29 sp. 8.25 so It'd be a Powertrax No-Slip)
4. Transfercase skid, JKS lower control arm skids, Rails
5. Diff protection (b/c you're going to need it especially at that height)

OPTION B:
1. 2" Budget boost and decent shocks (OME, Monotubes, Bilsteins)
2. Moabs and 31" BFG AT's
3. Lock it front and rear
4. Skid it up & Rails & Diff guards

Either option or even a stock XJ will absolutely amaze you... I just think it would be a lot more fun to go out and show up some of the big boy's locked ft/rr on 31's. AND at that height/combination you'll really learn to drive... It's more about the driver then than the jeep.. Just my $0.02

GREAT info. Thanks a lot guys. I think I have 1 major decision to make right off the bat...

Do I need new leaf springs/coil springs? Will the stock springs suffice?

If NO, then I'm thinking:
1a. Part RE6165 (2" budget kit from RE)
1b. Part XJ7029 (2" budget lift from Rocky Road)
2. 30x9.50x15 Kumho AT's / Crager Soft 8's 15x8
3. Front and Rear bumper with recovery points
4. 4.10 gears
5. All skids, rails, fog lamps, tire carrier

If YES, then I'm thinking:
1a. Part RE6025 (3.5" super-ride w/rear spring)
1b. Part OMEXJMED (2"?? medium duty OME springs/shocks)
2a. 31x10.50x15 Kumho AT's/ Crager Soft 8s 15x8
2b. 30x9.50x15 " " "
3. Front and Rear bumper with recovery points
4. 4.10 gears both locked
5. All skids, rails, fog lamps, tire carrier

Option 2 should get me whereever I want to go off road, albeit scraping and sliding. I think the price difference between the two options above is about 1500 bucks (options 2 adds new springs/coils/lockers).

And, to clarify my 30% off-road, I like places like Uwharrie and Tellico, mainly to ride my dirt bike, but I want this jeep to be able to have some fun out there too when I'm too tired to ride the dirt bike :roll:

So, let me know what you think about replacing my coils and leafs and if I should go ahead and get the lockers... THANKS.

uncc civilengineer said:
Well Uwharrie and Tellico are two totally different animals.... if you want to build it for Tellico it may take quite a bit more work...

Roger that, let's lean more towards the Uwharrie type trails for this DD rig :spin1:

Although it is no longer my DD, I originally biult this rig for triple duty(DD, trail rig, bass boat tower) It has done well with all 3. I'm slowely turning it into a trail rig since I now have 3 other XJ's.

I just ran Potts Mountain Jeep trail in the Jefferson National forest and it did well. I need more clearenc at the diffs but I'm getting 31's tomorrow and next year I'll get 32's.

Here is a pic and the specs.
P1010047.jpg

Mechanical; 4.0, AW4, NP231, 29 spline 8.25 w/Yukon 4.10 gears and Yukon alloy shafts. Detroit TruTrac. D-30 with a Aussie and 4.10 Yukon gears with 760 x axle u-joints. Advanced Adapters slip yoke eliminator and Tom Woods shaft.

Lift; OME HD Dakar rears with 1.5 TeraFlex shackles, 4" total. OME MD fronts, with ACOS, 3.75" total. Nitrocharger extended shocks front and rear.

Tires/wheels; 30"x9.5 Procomp MT and stock steelies

Engine; All original internals with Firepower ignition, TNT throttle body spacer, "TNT air tube and K&N filter, Optima red top, high output altenater,

Transmission; Hayden 30,000 GVW cooler, B&M tranny temp guage and Autometer pillar pod.

Interior; Uniden CB cranked and tuned to 50 watts, Firestick 2 antenna/spring and home made mount, Uniden Bearcat scanner, A Pioneer Supertuner I never listen too. Magellan 315 GPS and FineDrive Nav system.

Recovery; Detours Backbone without the winch plate on the front, 2" reciever on the rear

Protection; Factory front engine skid, Warn T-case skid, Tomken gas tank skid, Fabbing some 2x4 sliders soon.

Future mods, this year I hope; On board CO2 air, 3000 watt inverter and my Hobart 125 welder (on board). Home made "fold down" rear tire carrier. 31"x10.5 BFG MT
My 2 meter license and a 2 meter radio.

CLTSV650 said:
Help me build my future post-97 XJ.

I plan to be practical on the road as a DD and dangerous on the trail. 70% road/ 30% off-road. What would be the best QUALITY/PERFORMANCE components for:

1.Suspension (OME, RE, rough country, etc...)
2.Suspension height
3.Tire \ size
4.Wheel \ size
5.Bumpers
6.Any powertrain accessory
7.Any other accessory

Price is definitely a factor. So on a scale of 1-10:
If component1.performance = 10 and component1.price = 10 and component2.performance = 9 and component2.price = 5 then I want to purchase component2!!!

I'm thinking OME ~ 3" / 31x10.50x15 / Crager soft 8's 15x8 . I have no idea about the accessories.

I am planning on building something along those same lines. I have an '00 XJ 4.0, AW4, 8.25 rear, 242

Currently I have:
RE 3.5" Super-ride w/ SYE w/ OME shocks
31" BFG AT's on stock wheels
Skidrow Gas Tank Skid
JCR Stage 4 Front bumper

I currently also have new Rubicon MT/R's and im just waiting to snag some Rubi wheels or get some AEV 16" wheels.

Other plans include:
ARB Lockers (there is no OX for the 8.25)
Gear to 4.10
Rock Rails of some sort
JCR rear bumper (and buy rear quarter guards)
Internal Cage
Multi-mount Winch
Sticking with the 4.0 and some slight mods to it
Some kind of 4:1, I hear Tera will mod the 242 if u send it to them.

skxj said:
Sorry, the answer to your question that will satisfy "your wants/needs" is non-existent.

This is probably the best advice anyone can give you at this point. Figure out what you want to do with it and go from there. Having said that, the following combination is working out very well for me:

- OME Nitro Charger Long Travel shocks (N35L Front/N36L Rear)
- OME ZJ front coils (934) with OME Cherokee rear leaf springs (CS034RA)
- OME Add-A-Leaf rear leaf spring set (D22XL)
- JKS Quicker Disconnects (2001)
- DPG Disconnect Cables (DPGDC1)
- RE 4 degree steel axle shims (RE1467)
- RE extended U-bolts (RE1220)
- Pro-Comp adjustable trackbar (no part number as site is down at the moment)
- BFG T/A KO tyres (245/75R16) on Wrangler Rubicon Moab rims
- 4.10 gears
- Speedometer drive gear (Chrysler P/N 52067637)

This nets around 3.5" of lift, and I've been able to get away with no SYE or slip-shaft in the rear without vibes; this isn't necessarily the case for everyone, however. Although the gears were only just done, I'm including them here since they were the one thing I didn't do in the process of lifting it and wish that I had. More recent changes:

- Swapped stock D35 for XJ Dana 44 rear axle
- Converted rear drums to discs (Teraflex DBK-JE kit)
- Added ECTED lockers front and rear
- Added Custom 4x4 Fabrication double-tube rocker guards

This XJ came from the factory with the tow package and Up-Country suspension, so it at least has recovery points front and rear as well as a transfer case skid. Believe me (and everyone else who has mentioned them) that you want recovery points ahead of everything else.

In any event, the XJ's still very roadable at this time, and for the sort of wheeling I do is pretty much exactly what I want. In all seriousness, though, try it stock first and see how it does - they're surprisingly capable straight from the factory.

Back