• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrong clutch alignment tool?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I need a memory refresher here. It has been a few years since I have done a clutch job. I am putting a new clutch in my jeep since I am doing an engine swap. I was getting ready to put the clutch and pressure plate on,but I think the alignment tool that came with the kit is too small. Isn't the alignment tool supposed to fit tight in the pilot bearing? I did check to see if the pilot bearing fit the transmission input shaft before I installed it,and it fit fine. The alignment tool just flops around in there,it is way undersize. that is how the clutch is aligned,so it needs to be tight,right? do parts stores sell them if i need a new one? also,how far back is the pilot bearing supposed to fit into the crankshaft? flush with the outer edge of the crankshaft,or in as far as it will go? thanks,Ben

well,i am going to have to eyeball it I guess I tried all the parts stores around here and none of them have the right tool. this should be fun:(

I borrowed a universal one from Kragen by my house. You might want to check to see what you can rent (or borrow) first... I don't think I would try to eyeball it :).

well,none of the places around here even have one i can borrow. I put tape around the one i have now to fit it in the pilot bearing,maybe that will work.

Tape should do the trick. I almost always eyeball them, and never have a problem getting close enough. Did you replace the pilot bearing or are you using the old one? Double check that the transmission input shaft is the correct size for your pilot bearing. It should be a snug fit - if not, the pilot bearing is worn out or the wrong part.

yeah,I used tape and checked the pilot bearing before I installed the motor. The motor is bolted in now,but it was a hassle getting the input shaft and clutch splines lined up.

Back