• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire questions

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to replace my current tires and I'm looking into all options available. I'm on stock height right now, but will probably do a BB in the next few weeks. I am going to get 30" tires for sure as it is mostly a DD and I dont do much actual wheeling, just getting myself into good fishing lakes on FSR's. I really like the BFG's but, being a noob to 4x4's I'm not sure if I should go with MT's or AT's. What would the differance be in gas milage? I'm assuming not too much considering they are only 30's. There's a local shop with an insane deal of 105 a tire for BFG MT's, that's Canadian $ too!

Please be gentle:peace:

BFG a/t's and m/t's are both great tires. The A/T's will be better on the road, in the sand, in the snow, etc. The M/T's will be better in mud obviously, while giving up a little to the a/t in the other areas. The M/T will also be a little louder. With good rotation practices you can expect 50-60k miles out of either of them. My vote for a DD type rig would probably be the All Terrain.

J

Brad Klammer said:
Thanks for the info. Any other tire brands that you guys would recommend for 30" AT's?

The Goodyear MT/R would be a good compromise. It's an "aggressive all terrain" so it's kinda in between the a/t and m/t. Personally, I'd run the BFG a/t's and call it good.

J

stay away from the Yoko's. I had a set. Seemed every bit as good as BFG a/t's at first, but were pretty much worn out before 20,000. Got very noisy as they wore also.

i have the geolanders on my xj here in Montana they di pretty well in the snow ( we get a ton) but theyre not as agressive as the bfg AT's that i have on my TJ though i have heard they fill up with snow a lot I personally havent had the bfg's in the snow but they seemed to do well for my brothers toyota tacoma

I've gone through three sets of BFG AT and the later AT/ko, and got 40-50,000 miles out of each. They are great all-around, all-season type tires, and as stated they will last a long time with good rotation schedule. They also proved decently capable off-road, and although they won't clamber through the serious rocks, they are excellent for mild to medium trails.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Nice. American Tire seems to be the cheapest. I live like 20 minutes from Bellingham....so I think I'll go this route, unless someone can direct me to where they are less than 117 a tire for 30's?

I got over 85K miles out of a set of BFG AT on a ford excursion. Pretty much neglected. Maybe rotated once when I had the brakes done. They actually still had tread left on them when I changed them, but I had just done some front end work and wanted fresh tread. The excursion is one heavy, not so refined car. I am surprised anything has lasted 85K miles on that thing.

I had BFG AT's on a YJ that we used to do mild/moderate trail runs. Witnessed lots of tire failure on other rigs, but never had a failure on mine.

With my experiece, I would think you could not do any better than BFG AT's even if it was 100% street use.

Brad Klammer said:
Thanks for the info. Any other tire brands that you guys would recommend for 30" AT's?
Cooper Tire's has a good A/T that is reasonably priced.
I liked the 31's I had, quiet, good mileage, traction was good in rain, snow, sand.
Not much of a mud tire though.

Back