• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee Rear Spring Options

rikard

NAXJA Forum User
Bought this 87 XJ and need to replace the sagging rear springs. It will probably not be off roaded much or haul any heavy loads. A buddy mentioned that Jeep had a "Country" model that was slightly lifted over stock. I would like about 1 to 2 inch lift over stock. Are YJ rear leafs interchangable with the XJ? Thanks
Regards
rikard

go to your local junk yard and get the second leaf from a 90's f150(the spring below the main leaf)it will ride a little harder but it will cure your droopy a$$ and give you a budget boost

I think the "Up country" edition had about an inch of lift, so that might be an option at the junkyard, but of course an old one might have lost an inch or more just as yours has lost it, so you could end up back at stock. The added leaf from another XJ is a very quick and easy way to restore height, but when I did mine I didn't get much, if any, addition over stock. This has the advantage, however, of being doable without removing the top spring. All you have to do is get the U-bolts off, replace the center pin and the clips (which you can even home make if you're really cheap), and you get your boost. The stock U-bolts have enough length for one more leaf.

rikard said:
Bought this 87 XJ and need to replace the sagging rear springs. It will probably not be off roaded much or haul any heavy loads. A buddy mentioned that Jeep had a "Country" model that was slightly lifted over stock. I would like about 1 to 2 inch lift over stock. Are YJ rear leafs interchangable with the XJ? Thanks
Regards
rikard
"Country" model XJs were a trim level from 93-97. http://www.yuccaman.com/unlinked/mrburns.gif

Up-Country models were offered pretty much throughout the production run, and offered approximately 1" lift over stock. However, if you pull those springs from a used Jeep, there's no guarantee they'll give you any kind of lift like you're expecting. I'd recommend a good 2" Budget Boost using a full-length Add-a-Leaf (AAL) - you can fit 30" tires on stock rims easily. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

Jim

Back