• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a ball joint supposed to twist? (clunk when turning)

theksmith

NAXJA Member #1072
This may seem like a silly question, but I've got no experience with ball joints.... I currently have my steering knuckles off on my 01 XJ's stock dana 30, the upper ball joint stud turns in only one axis, the lower ones however can twist all around just like a TRE, is that normal?

I would have expected them both to only rotate in one axis so that the knuckle can turn on them as if they were little axles. For the bottom ones to twist all over the place seems incorrect to me.

If that is normal, any way to tell if they are still perhaps bad (chasing down a front end clunk when turning wheels). I already had tried to see if there was any play when the knuckle was still on and could not detect any. The clunk only happens when vehicle is on the ground (i.e. with resistance to turning). Happens when sitting still as well as moving (so not thinking u-joints). Already put in new heavy duty track bar, no sway bar attached, replaced all TRE's and steering gear box, tightened ALL font end bolts. No frame cracks near steering or track bar mounts. Seems only things left are ball joints, hub-bearings, or the actuall steering column.

Normal for the ball joints to do what you describe. I doubt that the ball joints are the cause of the noise. Take a look at all the joints/connections while someone else turns the wheel back and forth quickly. Also, check the control arms. What kind of control arms are you running? Aftermarket, stock?

Kyung

Rusty's Offroad adjustable uppers and lowers with 4"-4.5" of lift. I've had the kit on (including drop bracket and heavy duty tack bar) for months and no problems. Then suddenly I started getting a clunk a couple times when turning the wheel either direction. I had someone turn wheels and I tried to feel around and look around at every joint, but couldn't isolate the noise even. I took it to a generic mechanic and they said they didn't know what to do, so I decided to try some stuff before taking it to a 4x4 specific shop.

After a couple of weeks it got bad enough that it was repeatable and I could make it happen anytime i turned the wheel with the tires on the ground, but not if I put even one in the air. It seemed that what ever was loose wasn't obvious and was only shifting when there was resistance to turning.

I finally was able to isolate it somewhat I thought. Whenever the pop/clunk/clank would happen, I could feel a reverberation mostly in the frame near the steering box. I could feel it a little in the steering box, but mostly the frame. I replaced the steering gear box and at the same time made sure that the bolts and mount were all in good shape and there are none of the common frame cracks around it. Still got the noise.

I then installed JCR Offroad's 1-ton steering setup (I already had laying around, just never gotten to it), which replaced all TRE's and draglink/tierod. Still poping/clanking. Still feels up near the drivers side frame. Actually feel the vibration after the pop more towards the cabin than up near the steering box or track bar drop bracket.

Come to think of it, the closest thing to that would be the upper control arm frame mount... i'll have to check that out tommorow, can't believe I haven't checked that yet... I was so focused on the steering parts.

Last edited:
I asked about the arms cause I had a noise that was like yours. It was the upper driver's side control arm that had a tiny bit of play in it. tightened up the bolt and now it seems to be no more. I've got JKS adjustable arms by the way with the RE drop brackets.

Kyung

Pull the bolt out of the frame side of the upper control arm and inspect the hole. I found mine was slightly elongated and was causing the clunking sound. This became apparent after I switched from stock uppers and lowers to Rock Krawler adjustables. I "shimmed" the upper end with washers and replaced the bolt, this seems to have eliminated the occasional clunking I would feel in my feet.

I had this exact problem on my 88 recently.

What I found was the bolt for the lower trac bar was loose in the bushing sleeve, and it would slide against the metal bracket when turning.

I took it off, drilled the bushing sleeve out to the next bolt size, put in a gr 8 bolt, tightened it up, and the clunk is completely gone.

I also found out that all of the tre's on my jeep seem to be spring loaded, as you can use leverage to make the spring compress, but no problems with their function.

What trac bar are you running? I had a clunk much like you describe that came up twice last week, and it turned out to be the johnny joint on my JKS trac bar. Shot some grease up there both days it started popping, and made sure it was freakin tight, and so far it's been quiet.

I have found that the pop can either be in the track bar bracket or where the steering box attacheds. On my 88' you could see the track bar bracket move back and forth. Just tightening up the bolts took care of that till I upgraded the trackbar and bracket. On my 98' you could see the sheet metal flex where the steering box attached, and a loud pop as someone turned the wheel left and right. TNT's steering box reinforcement plates took care of that one.

Back