• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC not working

mrrbby

NAXJA Forum User
None of my hvac controls are working. No blower, no heat, no ac. I don't even hear the hvac moving through the positions. I checked the fuse in the panel for the blower motor, it's good. Any ideas? Switch bad, maybe. I'm going to pull the dash apart in the morning, so, what should I look for? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 96 XJ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I used to have problems with mine until I found a broken vacuum line, look under the hood and make sure all your lines are in one peice before you tear apart the dash.

If your blower's not working, you most likely have an electrical problem somewhere. There's also a resistor pack that controls the speeds that could be bad, however, it typically fails so the fan is at full speed, but who knows.

If the vents are not working, you most likely have a vacuum problem like SCJeeper suggests.

What about other elec systems? Lights? Radio? Etc.?

I should have mentioned that I checked the vacuum lines. I'll check again. A broken/disconnected vacuum line would explain some of my problem. I want to see if the blower switch is actually connected, so I'm still pulling some of the dash apart. Thanks for the tip.

Saudade said:
If your blower's not working, you most likely have an electrical problem somewhere. There's also a resistor pack that controls the speeds that could be bad, however, it typically fails so the fan is at full speed, but who knows.

If the vents are not working, you most likely have a vacuum problem like SCJeeper suggests.

What about other elec systems? Lights? Radio? Etc.?

My interior lights do work, radio works. Wipers, turn signals, etc. My reverse lights are not working. I'm guessing the nss is the issue on that. My hvac was working, but sporadically would just quit. When it works, the ac is ice cold. The blower doesn't work at any speed. Where is the resistor for the blower located? I'll check it. I don't know what I'll find when I pull the dash apart. The P.O. rigged quite a bit of stuff on this jeep.

I pulled the dash. The connector to the switch is shot. Melted, the switch is probably gone too. Time to trace some wires. Might have something to do with the wonderful musty smell in the jeep. The PO ran a couple of wires through the firewall, and didn't seal them. That, and I've mudded a few times. Oh well...thanks for the tips.

Oofah!! Sounds like a mess. Good luck.

Back