• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix help

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
hi folks
i have a 1989 xj renix when i went to fill it up i notice i'm only getting around 16.5 mpg, last tank was over 19 mpg. When i went out this morning i notice there is a big black spot on the ground an fence, so i looked at the ext pipe an it is pure black carbon looking.. It still runs great but i went under the hood to look at it, then i pulled my dip stick out an it smells like gas....:passgas:
It is a 4.0... plases help if you all can.
thank you

Check your O2 sensor. When they go bad, you run rich and trash your mipg.

That's my first though - service life for a HEGO is usually around 80Kmiles, and it's possible yours is original (that's "specified" service life. I'm about to replace my original - at ~280K or so...)

Do not use a "universal" HEGO sensor! The "universal" sensor works on a different principle, and will not work with RENIX. Bosch P/N 12009 (or equivalent) is what you want.

5-90 said:
Do not use a "universal" HEGO sensor! The "universal" sensor works on a different principle, and will not work with RENIX. Bosch P/N 12009 (or equivalent) is what you want.

Besides, I like the "plug-n-play" aspect of the the "OE' type. It makes it less than a 5 minute swap. Make sure you use anti-seize. ;)

Saudade said:
Besides, I like the "plug-n-play" aspect of the the "OE' type. It makes it less than a 5 minute swap. Make sure you use anti-seize. ;)

Oh, dear Lord, yes! Elsewise, you may as well just weld the damn thing in, and get ready to drill a hole and weld a new bung in next time - because you're going to have to.

The new sensor should already have never-seez on it, so check. If not, add the stuff - but don't get it on the sensor cage or on the sensor proper - just apply it to the threaded part (and be generous. You'll thank me later.)

You can use a 7/8" flare nut wrench or a HEGO socket to remove it, and a HEGO socket and a torque wrench to put the new one in. I don't recall the torque spec (somewhere around 15-20 pound-feet?) but it should be on my site in the Tech Archives.

scottmcneal said:
thank you guys, i had the kid next door put it in for me, an thank you 5/90 it is nice too still see you members helping us

How else are we supposed to get you guys to pony up?:laugh3:

In all seriousness, figure most of us members were users once, with members helping us out. That's why we became members shortly after - because we found the value here. The "Forum Supporter" idea came about because we've got an awful lot of people who are signing up and digging into our bandwidth without paying for it - and that costs money. I'm sure there are a few people who think $35 per annum might be a bit spendy (when you think of it in terms of value per dollar for tech information, it certainly is not...) so the "middle tier" for half the money came about to help out with that, and to give another option.

It's not that we don't want to help you, it's just that it costs money to keep this place up and running. Thus, the "Forum Supporter" tier. Thus, the "Donate" button idea that keeps getting tossed about (that idea is not unique - I know several sites that do the same thing.)

scottmcneal said:
I will join as soon as i get back on my feet, Again i thank you sir

"You don't say 'Sir' to me - I'm a sergeant, I work for a living!":twak:

Seriously, I understand (considering my membership had lapsed for about eighteen months a while back. Now, it's a deduction as a "professional association" - as well as JeepForum, Pirate, ...) Take your time and get everything pointed in the right direction, I'll keep working to make sure we're still here. This place is a pleasant distraction for me, it's where I come to get away from my mother-in-law...

5-90 This place is a pleasant distraction for me said:
You are always welcome to come and crash (oops..bad choice of words) here in Colorado. We can kill the proverbial fatted calf and have a burnt offering.

old_man said:
You are always welcome to come and crash (oops..bad choice of words) here in Colorado. We can kill the proverbial fatted calf and have a burnt offering.

Oh - once I get a few things pointed in the right direction (or Congress finally decides to implement "Airport-style insecurity for trains and busses," thus accelerating the process) I'll be driving cross-country a lot more anyhow. At least, back and forth to Indiana, where resides most of my family. And to Detroit. And possibly New Jersey, should I hear back from Magna Drivetrain/New Venture Gear. And...

I'd like to work in a driving NAXJA tour or three as well when I do that. I try to make FarmFest every year (guaranteed good time so far!) to put faces to names, and I'd like to be able to do that on a wider basis. Just have to plan a little farther ahead, that's all (and it gives me a good excuse to travel through Missouri and New Mexico to stock up on ordnance anyhow - all they've got here in Santa Clara County is "champagne poppers" and those little paper "sperm poppers" - what fun are those?)

Back