• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise while cruising on Frwy?

baja_bound

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction. I have searched and found some good info on here, but I don't want to go any further without more info first.

2000 Limited
AW4 Auto
NV242 T-case stock slip yoke and drive shaft
8.25 Crys rear end stock gears
4.5 RE lift

I have a noise that sounds like a growl. It almost sounds like a ring and pinion not meshing well or lashing. But I am pretty sure the sound is coming from the tranny/T case area. I am leaning toward the T case.

The sound presents itself when I am coasting at higher speeds then apply just enough throttle to keep up the the coasting. When you give a little gas and let off a little is when you here it. Under load or just plain coasting, it seems to be fine. Any ideas?

I thought that by chance, it may have been one of the lock rings on the output shaft. I pulled the output shaft housing and the rear most one was in the groove where it belongs. I haven't gone any deeper to see if the front one is good. I would just like more info before I go further.

Note: I know that I have to do a slip yoke eliminator, but I don't think that has to do with my noise. If it is, that would be bad U-joints, right? I have had bad U joints in another jeep CJ and never heard this sound.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

my 2001 does the same thing. It did it stock and still after I put on my 4.5 lift (with SYE). I think it is the rear pinoin bearings, but maybe someone else can chime in as to if this is the case and if it is normal with an XJ?

Thanks, I should have just checked that first. I will have to get the t case back together and run in front wheel drive without the rear shaft to see what happens.

mine makes a similar noise, i'm at 4.25" without an SYE. I always figured it was driveshaft bind.

Without changing positions, try wiggling your 4wd lever a little and see if the noise goes away. My '99 has made a noise since I bought it (new). Linkage rubs on the panel a little - sounds like the Tcase is coming apart at times.

Meh... I never got it fixed. Personality thing. :cool:

It's your rear pinion bearing. I'm replacing mine next week. Pull your diff cover and grab your axle to see if you have lateral play in the pinion. I was trying to find this noise for 6 months. You need inner/outer pinion bearings and a new crush sleeve.
Good luck

I will check this out. To me, it sounds like diff noise. But the T case has a diff also. If it does have play, how hard is it to change just the pinion bearings? I am kind of familiar with whats in there, but never tore into one.

Thanks for the tip

I'm replacing mine for the first time. I would assume (because I'm a dipshit sometimes) it will take about 4 hours. Hopefully?
Good luck and I will let you know how it goes.

Good luck to you as well. I should hook up with you and take a ride in yours before you fix it. Then watch you fix yours while I drink beer:roflmao:

LABMBA87 said:
I'm replacing mine for the first time. I would assume (because I'm a dipshit sometimes) it will take about 4 hours. Hopefully?
Good luck and I will let you know how it goes.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I was that guy once too. Thought I would through in some gears in my ranger. A few days later I learned that gears are best done by

A: Someone else
B: By yourself
C: You and your drunk buddies

The best fit answer is A. Having tried B and C, there are tolerences that need to be cleared and you will need to pick up a few tools to do the job right. You will also need to have new bearing races pressed in. If you don't pay attention to and get the backlash and torque specs correct you will just be in the same boat you are in now and with possibly more damage.

Take it from a fellow dipshit it will take longer. Much longer....

Fortunately, I work at a dodge dealership and have a tech that is gonna walk me through this so I don't look like a toatal ding-dong!

LABMBA87 said:
Fortunately, I work at a dodge dealership and have a tech that is gonna walk me through this so I don't look like a toatal ding-dong!

Glad to hear you have someone to turn to. I wish I was in your shoes when I had that "bright" idea.

Back