• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

talk me out of 33x10.5's

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a RE 3.5" '88 4.0 auto

Measured and re-measured clearances. looked at flex, etc. I wan't 33x10.5 BFG AT's.

Everyone says 31x10.5s are no brainers with this kit on stock wheels. I am figuring 33 only add an inch around the circumfence. ANy wheeling we will do will be trail exploring, not hardcore flexing.

I can not see any reason why the 33x10.5s won't fit, especially considering my use will be around town and weekenders. Not really a DD. I also know I can add shackles and/or spacers if I need a slight boost due to rubbing. And I have a JCR bumber on order that will eliminate the front flare close point.

I also know 31x10.5's are a nice safe choice.

I need to hit the tire store soon. Give me reasons for not going 33x10.5!

If your not doing any hardcore wheeling why go 33s? theres not really a point besides the "cool" factor. I think too low of a lift with too big of tires looks kinda dumb, but to each his own i suppose. I would say stick with 31s, theyre cheaper and you wont have to worry about rubbing.

trail exploring, around town? why do you want 33's?

whatever you decide be sure to backspace or they'll rub the control arms on turns...especially u-turns, parking spaces, etc.

what about 32's?

swbooking said:
If your not doing any hardcore wheeling why go 33s? theres not really a point besides the "cool" factor. I think too low of a lift with too big of tires looks kinda dumb, but to each his own i suppose. I would say stick with 31s, theyre cheaper and you wont have to worry about rubbing.
COG is king when it comes to wheeling.

go with 33's if you hate them (which you wont) sell them

Sam

swbooking said:

i like the low slung look. a rig with 3" for 33's will be just as capable if not more capable in most situations as a jeep running the same tires and 8" of lift

I ran 33's with 3.5" of lift and it worked great. Just bumpstop, get some cheap rims with less backspacing and remember a sawsall is your friend.

ktm racer 419 said:
i like the low slung look. a rig with 3" for 33's will be just as capable if not more capable in most situations as a jeep running the same tires and 8" of lift
I never said anything about 8" of lift.... but why be worried about rubbing on every speed bump, like i said my own opinion and to each his own...

I just put a set of 32x11.5s and trimmed a bit. Same Lift, so 33x10.5 is doable, just be ready for crappy gas mileage and a bit less power unless you regear. I Thought 3.55 and 32s wouldnt be too bad but now 4.56 gears are definatly in order.

mjd99xj said:
I just put a set of 32x11.5s and trimmed a bit. Same Lift, so 33x10.5 is doable, just be ready for crappy gas mileage and a bit less power unless you regear. I Thought 3.55 and 32s wouldnt be too bad but now 4.56 gears are definatly in order.

Just don't use overdrive or hammer it from a dead stop. I was able to get 19mpg with 33x10.5's this way... Not fun but it worked. I even broke 20mpg once. Before you ask I did correct the speedo also...

swbooking said:
I never said anything about 8" of lift.... but why be worried about rubbing on every speed bump, like i said my own opinion and to each his own...

you didn't, but there are many people out there who think that looks cool and uber capable as opposed to lower lift.

i run 37's with 4.5" and speedbumps are of no issue

Get the 33's you will love them...I run them with a 4.5in lift and alot of trimming they work great..

xjjeeper19 said:
Get the 33's you will love them...I run them with a 4.5in lift and alot of trimming they work great..

I have the same amount of lift as xjjeeper. I started with 31's and changed to 33's. I changed my gears to 4:56 and now I love the mileage and the ride. Go with 33's, you will love yourself now, rathe than hating yourself for a long time for getting 31's

O.K. so I admit, it is moslty for the cool factor.

Mileage and gearing are not a huge issue due to my limited around town use. My kid is actually going to use it to get to H.S. for the next few years.

I thought about the 32's, but they are 11.5" I think I have more issues with width than with heigth. What about 33x9.5's? How do those look?

If 31x10.5's are "no problem" I don's see how one extra inch of rubber around the perimeter would make that much of a difference.

I honeslty spent a lot of time with a tape measure, turning the wheels, looking and suspension movement, etc and I don't really see how 33x10.5s are going to rub in my day to day driving.

If we really start running trails and/or rubbing. I always have the easy lift boost and/or some cheap steelies to correct the problem.

I got 85K plus miles out of a set of BFG AT's on a ford excursion. This may be the last set of tires I buy for this XJ. I don't want to put on 31's and a week later wish I had gone bigger.

I went middle ground with 32s and 4.5 lift. I will say you will likely want to trim, even for basic stuff, the rubbing gets annoying and you can bend up your fenders and body when the tires catch.

A trimmed XJ can look really nice if done right as well. But if you never plan on disconnecting your sway bar it may not be necisary.

Ok,...
I went from 31x10.5's with 3.5"of lift to 33x12.5's and 4.5" of lift.

This is what happens next :
- New 15x8 rims with proper BS.
- Re-gear both diffy's to 4.56.
- Add 1.75" coil spacers and 1.5" shackles
-Trim all fenders and add wider flairs.
- Adjust bumpstop lengths.
- Install longer shocks.
- Longer brake line's, and bigger master cylinder and vac booster are needed
- ensure driveline angle's are ok, if not an SYE and rear DS is needed.

33's look awesome on an XJ.
They stuff nicely into the fender wells.
They're at home on and off road equally.
Doesn't affect daily driving.

DO IT ! You won't regret it.

ok here you go, both have a a 4.5 lift on them red one is mine with 33x10.50's the white one is my brother's with 31's......
Pictures024.jpg

Back