• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple Cheap Rear Bumpstop Idea - short write-up

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I put a set of 35s on my XJ recently and I'm only running 4.5" of lift(RE 4.5") with trimmed fenders. I knew I would need to bumpstop to keep the bigger tires from getting cut up by my trimming. I really like the DPG style bumpstop plates BUT im cheap when i comes to things like that and would rather spend the $85.00 on something else.....

After some thought, some leftover metal laying around, left over rubber spacers, and some welding I had rear bumpstop plates....for net cost of $0.00!!

Materials:

2x2 Square tubing ~12-16" long
Some kind of rubber Spacer
5/8" Drill Bit
Welder

I took the 2x2 and cut it in half, then I cut a 45* angle off each end opposite one another. The angle is cut you can get to the leaf spring center pin and the rubber lower stopper. I drilled a 5/8" hole on one end to clear the leaf spring center pin. Then I cleaned the top of my spring plates with the grinder for better welding, centered the tubing on the spring plate and welded her up! with the bolt on pad this makes them adjustable. If this doesn't make sense just see the pics below.

uwharrie6-30-07060.jpg

uwharrie6-30-07062.jpg

uwharrie6-30-07063.jpg

Max up-travel - about 1/2" shock remaining.
uwharrie6-30-07059.jpg

My rear set up is RE 3.5" Leafs with RE 1.25" rear shackle
Factory Up Country rear bumpstops up top and about 1" of rubber on my plates. This easily keeps the 35s out the fenders.

uwharrie6-30-07065.jpg

I just wanted to share this idea - I know its not that advanced but it makes for a Simple fix for cheap.

Not very much up-travel though!!

Not trying to knock your ingenuity but that design will put a tremendous amount of stress on your u-bolts when the suspension bottoms out. If you should accidentally get airborne and come down hard it could break the u-bolts. May I suggest putting a 1"x1" strut between the part you made and the axle tube? That would give the extra support to eliminate the stress on the u-bolts. I gotta say that is good work on those, it looks well made.

RCP Phx said:
Not very much up-travel though!!

up travel is overrated.. no really i have a set of RE 4.5" leafs on the way so thats what i set them up for. also this was my first time out with them so im going to lower them a little so i can get the tire to stuff a little more.

jeeperjohn said:
Not trying to knock your ingenuity but that design will put a tremendous amount of stress on your u-bolts when the suspension bottoms out. If you should accidentally get airborne and come down hard it could break the u-bolts. May I suggest putting a 1"x1" strut between the part you made and the axle tube? That would give the extra support to eliminate the stress on the u-bolts. I gotta say that is good work on those, it looks well made.

i see your point and i appriciate the advise - however i don't see how they are any different than the DPG or JKS spring plates? Besides im not into jumping the jeep.

woodkrawler said:
up travel is overrated.. no really i have a set of RE 4.5" leafs on the way so thats what i set them up for. also this was my first time out with them so im going to lower them a little so i can get the tire to stuff a little more.

That's what I've said all along... LCG is your friend.. now why lift it more?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A 2 DOOR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell you don't need stops. Well, maybe little ones. You can cut the poop out of the fender!! Let that wheel come up to the glass. Higher if you got a glass cutter.

jeeperjohn said:

I kinda disagree. Since he didn't box the ends of the 2x2 and it appears to be 1/8" or thinner, my bet is that if he came down hard on 'em, the 2x2 would probably squish/bend before hardened steel u-bolts would break. I think that the lengthened bump stop bolted to the frame would probably snap off at the bolts before anything else - and that's IF it doesn't dent into the frame rail.

The strongest part of his whole bumpstop setup are the u-bolts. IMO. :thumbup:

damn, i have the exact 2 door xj and mine doesnt look that hot... :(

YELLAHEEP said:
I kinda disagree. Since he didn't box the ends of the 2x2 and it appears to be 1/8" or thinner, my bet is that if he came down hard on 'em, the 2x2 would probably squish/bend before hardened steel u-bolts would break. I think that the lengthened bump stop bolted to the frame would probably snap off at the bolts before anything else - and that's IF it doesn't dent into the frame rail.

The strongest part of his whole bumpstop setup are the u-bolts. IMO. :thumbup:

that was my thought exactly...the 2x2 is only 1/8" so if anything is going to bend/break it would be the 2x2 first. the lengthened bumpstop is actually just a OEM Up Country bumpstop but it has a 1/8" reinforcing plate that it is mounted too from the factory. it is different than the shorter bumpstops that come on most XJs.

Simple, cheap & effective, it gets the job done well.
I have to rebuild my rear leaf pack, so I will be doing this mod.
Thank you for the ideas.

I did something very, very similar on my, but I used 1" sq stock that I had lying around a welded it to the u-bolt plate. I just never took pics. It is a nice simple solution for this and he's right I can spend the $85 some where else.

badron said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A 2 DOOR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell you don't need stops. Well, maybe little ones. You can cut the poop out of the fender!! Let that wheel come up to the glass. Higher if you got a glass cutter.

X2

I have bigger rear openings on my 4 door. I wish mine was a 2 door so I could raise the opening to the bodyline. I have 6.5" of rear uptravel with 5" of lift and could fit 35' tires no problem. Uptravel is your friend.

woodkrawler said:
i see your point and i appriciate the advise - however i don't see how they are any different than the DPG or JKS spring plates? Besides im not into jumping the jeep.
I am not familiar with any of the aftermarket bump stops. I made some aluminum blocks to go between my original bumpstops and the frame. I will take a look at some other designs, thanks.

vetteboy said:

Because some of us like to go fast too. With 33" to 35" tires there is room for uptravel and I personally believe to set-up for as much uptravel as I can.

When you run 39.5" tires with 7" of lift, uptravel is not your friend it's your limitation. Droop is your friend. Just don't try hammering over whoops at 60mph.... It would not be pretty...

Back