• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle question

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
Should the axle shaft move within the axle tube ? Next weekend, I'm replacing the passenger side wheel bearing, new diff fluid, and both the axle U-joints are shot to hell. When I was checking the Axle U joints I noticed that the entire axle moves with in the tube. Should it do this or should there be something within the tube to hold it center ?

CanMan said:
Bad U joints can cause that, as well as a bad unit bearing.

So their are bearings within the axle tube ? I know the Axle U joints are bad as is the passenger side wheel bearing.

Thanks. I've been told that I'm most likely going to need to replace the ball joints when I take everything apart. Is this accurate ? I've never done a wheel bearing, axle u joint or a ball joint. My father has and he's going to assist me.

Unless they are bad upon inspection, I would not worry about replacing them, since your rig is fairly new. After you replace the unit bearing, jack the wheel off the ground, grap the top and bottom of the tire, and try to move back and forth. Have pops watch the ball joints to see if there is any play. If there is movement, they will need replaced. They should be nice and solid.

The u joints and unit bearing are fairly easy to replace for a beginner.

Well I have some experience. I've been involved in auto tech for 2 years and currently hold my NATEF certification. I've never done any of the work since we mainly worked on FWD cars rather than 4x4s or RWD cars. The wheel bearing seems relatively simple, it's the axle U joint that I will be flying by the seat of my pants with. Do you think the U joints could cause a vibration upon acceleration and at highway speeds ? The wheel shakes side to side on the highway, and it's a fairly new problem.

camarors8992 said:
Do you think the U joints could cause a vibration upon acceleration and at highway speeds ?

Possibly. It could also be that bad unit bearing you are going to replace. It could also be the tires out of balance, ball joints, CA bushings, TB issues...

The wheel shakes side to side on the highway, and it's a fairly new problem.

Once again, could be any of the above.

Back