• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering problem after tire install!!

Blue96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Help! Finally got the tires on my XJ and after installation and alignment, it won't turn right!! I went to a 4.5" lift and 32" tires... The guys are telling me that I need a different pitman arm, but I drove it down there with out issue! It will only get a quarter turn of the steering wheel to the right and about half way to the left. I don't see anything rubbing or stopping the tires (hell they barely move!). I'm suspicious they screwed something up, as they told me the alignment was complete...When checking out the drag link angles, I noticed the 4 nuts that adjust the castor were fully backed off. They hadn't adjusted at all! My faith is waning, but I can't drive it like it is...They also installed my adjustable track bar...

Any thoughts!!

Thanks,

John

Take the drag link off at the pitman arm and try turning the wheel and see if it turns further than with it connected. If it does you can eliminate a gear box issue, and then with the front suspention on jack stands and tires off the ground. Turn the rest of the linkage by hand and you can see what and where it is binding, and if at all.

If you don't trust the guys and don't want to try fixing it yourself take it to a diffrent shop.

Thanks. I'm going back over there in a few and make them put it back on the lift. The binding didn't show up until the tires went on and they aligned it. That's what's got me puzzled. I should have had binding no matter which tires are on right?

What do you mean the 4 nuts that adjust the castor are backed off? are you talking about your control arms? and no, you wouldn't/shouldn't need a DPA for 4.5" of lift....

If you look at your jeep head on from the front, steering wheel straight, do your tires look really toed in, or really toed out?

Man that can be a bit of a bear to figure out what they did wrong as it seems they will try to cover their butts. I guess my first question would be is if they took the pitman arm off. Beyond that the drag-link could be adjusted too short causing a left-turn bias.

Most likely one of those two things is the culprit. More likely the latter and not the former.

I went down and spoke with the manager. He's going to take it apart, as he doesn't think it needs a pitman arm...said that did the work gets hard headed once he has an opinion. Told him that's fine, just let me know TODAY. If I need to get a pitman, I want in on before Wednesday as my neighbors want to do some wheeling...

As mentioned above the pitman arm shouldn't have to be replaced. Usually when someone replaces the pitman arm it is because they are getting one with a drop and not greater length. The reason for the drop pitman arm is to get the drag-link less vertical and more horizontal. It isn't for getting full-lock steering. If you are getting a pitman arm that is longer to change the amount of steering travel, then you will no longer have stock steering, because I can't think of any situation with the stock steering where it is needed.

I really think he needs to adjust the collar on the drag-link to make the drag-link longer and that will give you your righthand turns back. Has to adjust it so that the steering wheel has made a complete revolution and is recentered. That should give you roughly 1.5 turns right and left.

All the above is assuming they haven't moved the pitman arm from its stock position. The pitman arm can only be installed in say 90 degree intervals. So if they took it off and truned it 90 degrees to get your steering wheel aligned, that could also explain the problem. But I think the other information above is more likely.

With adding an adjustable track-bar it is hard to say how they approached it to screw this up.

Obviously, the lift requires lengthening the drag link to re-center the wheel. And if the axle is not properly centered before the adjustable track bar is installed, that could cause the need to lengthen the drag link even further, in an attempt to re-center the steering wheel. Also check to see if the axle is centered under the Jeep.

Well, they called at 3pm to see if I had moved the pitman (which I haven't)...that was the last I heard. He was still trying to figure out what they did. Drove by a little while ago and it was sitting in a bay (place was closed). Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow...

Blue96XJ said:
Goodyear place off of Founders...Manager(?...assistant mgr maybe) is a great guy and seems to know his stuff. Some of the others are questionable...

I've had mine done at steele behind the library, do a good job for me if they can't get you square.

Shouldn't be too difficult for them to get it aligned correctly - and no, as stated earlier you don't need a drop pitman for a 4.5" lift.

If they still end up insisting that's the case, let me know and I'll drop by with my Jeep; I'd like to hear the explanation for that one as I've had a 4.5" on mine for years with the stock pitman arm.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

first thing to check, the pitman arm should be straight fore and aft with the steering wheel centered.
If it's cocked to one side when the wheel is centered then the draglink needs adjusted.

Got it back and everything seems to be working as it should. I can see the did some major turning on the drag link. It drives down the road nice and straight...the damn steering wheel is off by 90 degrees though. I'm going to take to discount tire tomorrow and have them check the alignment. Worth the extra $50 for peace of mind...

Back