• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting hoses off heater core...

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is embarassing... But I don't know any tricks for this one so I figured I'd better ask.

Apparently after about 20 years the hoses, that hook up to the heater core right be the firewall, will get kinda seized. They won't move at all. Yes, I took the hose clamps off. I tried brute yarding on them and bent the metal lines in the cab. I tried pliers with no success. I'd slit the rubber but I want to re-use it...

So, any ideas?

OK, try bending a coat hanger into a hook shape, and pull it between the hose and metal fitting in a few places to break the seal. Then use the pliers to spin it.

Good luck.

STOP PULLING!!I'm not yelling I'm trying to help you....

Use a razor knife to cut slits in the hoses right were they connect to the heater core,then you may have enough hose length to reinstall the hoses after you cut the ends off that you slit....the heater core bungs are notorious for breaking off if you try to pull the hoses off!!Trust me...
The down side is you may have to get new hoses,which is alot better than buying and installing a heater core(major pita!!)

Last edited:
It's in my truggy. The heater core just hangs out by my feet so I can warm up the cab in the winter. So it's actually not at all hard to change. Other than these hoses. Grr. Maybe I'll just cut them and re-do it all anyways. I'm changing to a rear rad setup and need to T-in another hose for my propane setup too.

But, there's no 'duh' trick to this? Because normally everything that seems hard has a 'duh' trick.

I'm thinking the "duh" trick is hose slice,just a couple of very small slices one on top of the bung and one on the bottom usually gives you enough leeway to pry the hose off...
but........
try some pb blaster on it and let it set overnight,you never know!!That pb blaster crap is amazing....

or....maybe wrap some tin foil around the hose and heat it up a bit with a torch to make the rubber more pliable and to loosen the bond??Just throwing out ideas...

I've been thinking of going propane myself lately...wonder if I'll get better mileage on and off road?I know I'll get a performance boost due to the 100+ octane rating of propane....

Last edited:
You don't get a performance boost. The octane rating is higher (115), but it only contains 70% of the energy per given quantity VS gasoline. If you set the motor up for it the performance will be pretty much the same, perhaps better if you run a really high CR. I can't be certain on that becuase propane and performance are not often in the same sentence. The milage is worse too, you go about 70% as far for given fuel quantity.

But, I pay $ .45 a liter for propane. And $1.12 for gasoline. So, it is cheaper in the end... Besides, I've got a 120L tank (umm... 32 gal?) so I really don't worry about running out. Mostly I'm going with it because the EFI has a lot of baggage, and I think that simple is better.

Hmmm Damn what am I thinking. I replace all my hoses every two years or so. It's one less thing I have to worry about. The hoses break down from the inside out, so you just can't tell from looking at them like a belt.

Remove clamps, use exacto or razor knife and slice lengthwise then peel them off.

Replacing hoses is a lot cheaper and easier than replacing that heater core. Grow some balls and use a knife. You will be much happier and wealthier.

Personally, I figured this jeep had already seen too much of decisions that were based on my balls' size.

P1010710.jpg

But since I was called on it, I cut them. I guess I'll be re-doing all of my coolant hoses now.

It's cut down to the intended width. I threw it back on to check everything. I'm going to take another 4" out of it I think, so it'll have to come back off. But anyways, it has to be on for when I bend up the front clip and the rest of the cage, which is actually the next step after I finish mocking up all my remaining engine controls. Which is now all done. So, it's bending time... Almost.

DirtyMJ said:
Personally, I figured this jeep had already seen too much of decisions that were based on my balls' size.

But since I was called on it, I cut them. I guess I'll be re-doing all of my coolant hoses now.

Okay I was wrong your balls are bigger than King Kongs. Now I have to ask why you think you need a heater.

mikeforte said:
Okay I was wrong your balls are bigger than King Kongs. Now I have to ask why you think you need a heater.

Heater and high powered fan to keep blowing the snow out during the winter :D :D :D

Wow that is one hacked up Jeep! Looks pretty tough, Are you going to brace the front?

Back