• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj steering/brakes to xj

sik4wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone post up a newer link than the 4x4wire one. I know that i will need knuckles, calipper brackets,callipers and rotors from a WJ. Is there a certain year that I should be aiming for? Also I will buy unit bearing for a 2000/2001 xj/tj, right? Then i will need to get the track bar bracket and knuckle spacers from JKS. I know that the rotors will need to be redrilled, but is there anything else that I am missing that will be needed? Thanks for your help.

I used stuff from 2000WJ. Knuckles off a donar in junk yard. New caliper brackets and bracket bolts from dealer. You can use a Front rotor off off a 4WD 2002 Ford Sport Trac (5x4.5, 12") I used this rotor, but i also had the small hub conversion from Warn. Yes JKS for those two parts. You may have to make up some custom spacers to get the rotor center'd in the bracket, But shouldnt have a problem if you redrill a WJ rotor.

So on monday I will be ordering the spacers and trackbar bracket from jks. Also, I will be ordering the knuckles, callipers and brackets from the junk yard and the newer uni bearings. Am i missing anything. I will buy rotors from napa.

You have the choice between the Teves and Akebono calipers. The Akebonos are preferred, but may require the use of 16-inch rims.

Somke people have made 15 inch rims fit over the Akebonos. But it requires grinding cown the calipers a bit.

And I've "heard" that the basic black rockcrawler-type rims require less grinding, than say, Centerlines.

I have 15x8 Eagle alloys that fit over my WJ Akebonos. Its very tight, but works. Make sure your tie rods will fit if you set up the steering under the knuckle.

Angus

I went Hiems (QA1) but if I did it again (and what i'm doing in future ) is 1ton chevy TRE's

All the parts should be here today or monday from the yard. What is the first thing I should do/ put together? Also the 1/4" spacer spaces out the hub//unit bearing correct?

Weld the .250" spacer on.

Ream the upper steering arm on the passenger side for your 1 ton TRE over hte top, and your draglink. Use ES2026R and 2027L (or 2026l/2027r, i always forget) ends.

drill and weld in your goferit inserts to flip the tie rod over, use WJ tie rod ends (they push the tie rod 'out' a bit, or it hits the diff cover at lock).

Weld on trackbar bracket

install new ball joints. Install Wj knuckles. Replace your ujoints, install axle shafts, install 2000+ unit bearings. tighten everything down.

Install steering links. Center axle by hand, build trackbar to fit and have correct angle.

Drill rotors, install. You will need to space your calipers a bit, a lot of people use a thick washer between the caliper and caliper bracket. install calipers.

bleed your brakes a couple times. Install wheels.

Your stuff should look cleaner than mine, but resemble something like this:

steering.jpg

Moog or Spicer. Don't do the offset ones if you don't need to, they aren't as strong.

Yes. the OEM ones I think are Spicer. Spicer parts can be hard to get sometimes, and Moog is just as good.

Less, you just want to center the caliper on the rotor. I spaced mine maybe 1/8th, and ground about 1/8th off of the outside edge of my caliper (teeves caliper).

It will be clear when you assemble it.

Okay so i am getting the newer callipers which to my knowledge are the akebonos. It does not seem like any one knows if they will fit 15 inch rims. can you grind them down, will they work, what needs to be done?

Back