• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Front hitch

wazsar

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had trouble with a 2001 front hitch installation? Just got a Drawtite Model #65009, but it's not a simple bolt up as advertised. One hole lines up with a bolt on the rod clamp but the second misses. The limited instructions say to drill a matching third hole, but it's a box frame. It will probably be cheaper/easier to modify this one to make it work than to return it, if there are no better models out there. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help....

I dont know what brand it was but jmowens put one on his 98 and said it was a big pain. You may want to try to pm him about it. I know he said his required quite a bit of drilling.

I have one on my 01 xj and you need to remove the front bumper to install the hitch. Mine went under the sway bar mount brackets and you drilled a 3rd hole. Take the bumper off the install the bolts for the new holes.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. The directions noted the third hole needed to be drilled but not the bumper removal. I'll look at it again to make sure I'm not missing something, cause it didn't look like the second hole on the bracket was lining up.

I can snap a pic or two if you need

I won't put you through the trouble. Seems my hole patterns are off.
The lips at the front holes needs to be ground off too. I'm good with bolt ons but this is looking more like a job for a local shop.

Some months later than the original posts...
This past weekend (Jan., 2008), I got mine partially installed, the 4 bolts that use the sway bar, and got the two forward holes drilled. I was able to feed a fish wire with the carriage bolt and its plate attached, down to the new hole, but could NOT get the bolt to slide into place. I am considering, (1) Weld the spacer and bracket in place. (2) make the bolt's hole a bit oversize, (3) pull the bumper for a proper installation.

Back