• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Jack Question

That trans from the 87 is going to have a 21 spline out put, and your current one has a 23 spline output. You'll either have to use the 87 t-case (may be an NP207) or find an 89 or earlier 231.

-Dan

The everlasting project fellas, my 96 2wd will become a 96/87 4wd.

1987 AW4 with 242 Tcase...Bought it for $200 from a member of my club, said it was rebuilt, but you know how those thing go.

I guess shelling out $90 to keep it beats $22 a day to rent one.

Thanks guys,
Jesse

Yes, this will work, I recently used one on my XJ with 3" lift & 33" TSLs.
I've since had the "pleasure" of using it 2 more times on other vehicles; it is very easy to use & handy to have.

Make SURE you get the new torque converter seated all the way on the correct splines or your tranny will never seat up correctly (took me 4hrs to figure this out, lol). It makes it easier if you bolt the T-case on after the tranny is bolted to the motor, & when you're taking the old one off - tilt the tranny down with the jack for easy access to the top few bolts. You'll need to put your 96 HO-shifter cable into the 87 tranny.

Back