• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched tone noise mystery, Help.

patrolman467

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep Cherokee with 90,000 miles.

There is a high pitched hum or tone that happens when I am driving down the road and take my foot off the gas pedal. It is a constant tone and doesn’t change pitch. It doesn’t happen all the time, but most of the time. Once your foot is completely off the gas pedal the hum will start. If the slightest pressure is put on the pedal the hum will stop. So, you can make the hum/tone come and go by slightly pressing the pedal and releasing. The hum/tone sounds like it is coming from under the hood toward the driver’s side maybe and I can hear it in the passenger’s compartment, but not as loud. It will only last for about 1 minute or less once the vehicle is stopped and put in park. I can rev the engine up in park and I can’t get the noise to start again. I have to be moving to get the noise to start back. There are not any other symptoms that I have noticed. The vehicle seems to idle and run fine. It doesn’t miss or sputter. I've had three professional mechanics look at it and they are stumped. The problem is that it is hard to find the exact location because once I stop the Jeep the noise will only keep going for a minute. It's definately coming from under the hood and the gas pedal has an effect on the sound. Like I said, when the gas is pushed down there is no hum. When the gas pedal is completely let off of, that is when the tone/hum starts. Has anyone else had this problem?

Differentials have a tendency to make noise on deceleration if the pinion is out, but it is usaully a problem from the rear, becasue that is where the driving power is coming from on road. I would also check real close for a vacuum leak on the motor.

Might be money well spent to take it somewhere with a lift that can run it in the air and find the noise for you.

I've had the Jeep checked out for a vacuum leak, but none have been found around the engine. It still might be one, but it would be a very very small one if it is there.

Back