• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE vs. RC: Justify

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am about to buy a lift in the next couple of weeks to fit my 31" BFG MT's. I am going to do some wheeling, but not too much, maybe i'll do more as I start to get good at it.

I am looking to buy a lift, a 3" to fit the 31's. I don't want to spend too much money seeing as I am a college kid and gas on this thing already sucks.

I am looking at the Rough Country 3" AAL and the Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Ride AAL kit. I did all the costs out and it appears that I could get the RC with adjustable LCA's and an adjustable track bar for the same price to my door as the RE super-ride with shocks included, both about $600.

With the track bar and LCA's I feel as if I could prevent spending any extra on any Death Wobble problems ahead of time.

Everyone is always saying they wish they just bought the RE from the start. Can someone sell me on this because it seems as if the RC would be the better choice here.

Other things to point out: I will probably do the S10 leaf pack instead of the AAL.

Questions: Should I buy shims to avoid any vibes at 3-3.5 ahead of time?

i don't know why they all say run the RE kit for. I'm new to this jeep thing, but i have installed about 6 RC lifts over the years for friends, i only went by them, an i think the RC kit is great, no death wobble, i put a 6.5 lift on mine an didn't bal the tires yet.. rides great. do not do the AAL, that is a weak link on any lift.

89 xj, 6.5 RC an 33s

Yeah, read this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921218&highlight=rough+country I have the 3" RC and have had little to no problems. I wheel (mildly) twice a month and daily drive mine. I have about 12,000 miles on mine. The rear has sagged a little (AAL), but is still about 3" higher than it was.

My advice is go for the upgraded shocks, go ahead and do the stabalizer bar while you're there, and get shims or a TC drop. I needed that TC drop (of course I have a '98).

--Just saw you have a '99 -- you are probably going to need either shims or TC drop.
HTH

Michael

akennedy99 said:
I have.

I've read hundreds of times that you pay more upfront for a RE, but it costs less in the long run. What makes the other lifts cost so much?
Because they end up getting replaced...often with an RE. You said it yourself in that post - you may pay a little more upfront, but I can't think of anyone ever saying, "Man, I wish I hadn't bought that quality lift from RE; I think I'll downgrade to Rusty's or Rough Country."

i've been reading about death wobble, i havent found one thats running the RC lift, but i am still looking, yes i know search is your friend when you can't get the right anser to a post. Should i get my tires bal and the alim done after putting on my RC lift, ?????????????????????????????

scottmcneal said:
i've been reading about death wobble, i havent found one thats running the RC lift, but i am still looking, yes i know search is your friend when you can't get the right anser to a post. Should i get my tires bal and the alim done after putting on my RC lift, ?????????????????????????????

After ANY lift, you'll need an alignment. Out of balance tires can spell the beginning of DW.

ok, when i got my tires, i had abad one out of the set of 5 tires so it wobble realbad till i change that one tire out, steers an rides great now. thank you i'll set up for the bal an alim now. thank you again

read through the rough country thread. i just got a 4.5in lift from them there service is great. i would also suggest spending a little more up front an going with full leafs instead of aal. the aal will sag in no time. i think its around 200 more for the new leafs.

it's not so much the kit itself that causes DW, it's the added stress on your steering components, especially bushings and joints that are already worn out. on a 97+ your biggest concern should be the driveshaft(when talking about a 3.5" lift anyway).

anyway, my point was; the differences between RC and RE are all in the quality in craftmanship. if you could see the two kits on a desk right in front of you, it'd be pretty obvious why the RE lifts cost more.

not to mention, i hear the RC shocks ride like doo doo!

not to mention, i hear the RC shocks ride like doo doo!

if you say so, i don't think it does.. I live in the low desert, the roads out here suck. This heep rides better than my NEW f150 truck. So i guess you don't like the soft ride it gives?
By the way i saw the RE kit this year before i ORDER MY RC KIT.Let order a bunch of up grades NOT....... I went to the jeep run out here an looked at the kits they had. Plus i did alot of talking to people there that own jeeps.... but like i said,I installed all my friends lifts before i got a jeep. I only owned sandrails an baja bugs before, so i guess i got lucky the first time... sorry if i don't understand paying out more money for the same thing... i have over 20 years in the off roading... to many hard hits i guess. LOL

fjbreaker,I was in the same boat when it came time to buy a lift kit.I didn't want to spend a ton of money,but still wanted something for just offroading now and then.My XJ is a 1999,never been off road.I ended up going with the RC 3" and was gland I did.My kit had front springs,shocks,Fixed LCA,AAL and all bushing,clips and bolts/nuts that were needed.I was hopping I didn't have to start to run around looking for parts.Guess what?I didn't,everything was there as needed.The only thing that was needed was some shims.RC sent a set free which worked out great.
Now this was my first time ever installing a lift kit.When I first did a test ride,I got to thinking to myself,dam,it works!I did have a very little vibration.From there,I droped the Tcase and put washer,about 1/2" just to see if that would help with the vibs.It did!After RC sent me some 2.5 deg shims(FREE),I installed them which took about 1 hour.After the test ride GREAT,no vibrations.I had no problems with any DW.My xj has 103,000 miles on it.
The kit cost me around $370 shipped to my house.I had 4 new 31x10.5x15 mud brute ($480)tires install which put this a little higher then I thought(GREAT).The ride is what a jeep is,thats all there is to it!
Before doing a AAL,break out a tape to see how much it is from the rear center tire to the fender.It should be close to 17",were as the front should be 17.5".Mine was just right,so I don't think I will have a problem with the @ss end dropping soon.

If you notic in the rough country post they stand behind their product and they are very concerned about thier customers, they are not the kind of company that you will just get their voicemail or a I'll (mayber if I feel like it) call you back. they are going to take care of you right then , you just cant beat thier service. Oh by the way try and stay away from AAL's they are good for new springs that are not tired and wore out if you try and put them on older springs they will eventually sag and to save yourself time and money just buy the new leaves to begin with.
:yelclap:

fishfighter said:
fjbreaker,I was in the same boat when it came time to buy a lift kit.I didn't want to spend a ton of money,but still wanted something for just offroading now and then.My XJ is a 1999,never been off road.I ended up going with the RC 3" and was gland I did.My kit had front springs,shocks,Fixed LCA,AAL and all bushing,clips and bolts/nuts that were needed.I was hopping I didn't have to start to run around looking for parts.Guess what?I didn't,everything was there as needed.The only thing that was needed was some shims.RC sent a set free which worked out great.
Now this was my first time ever installing a lift kit.When I first did a test ride,I got to thinking to myself,dam,it works!I did have a very little vibration.From there,I droped the Tcase and put washer,about 1/2" just to see if that would help with the vibs.It did!After RC sent me some 2.5 deg shims(FREE),I installed them which took about 1 hour.After the test ride GREAT,no vibrations.I had no problems with any DW.My xj has 103,000 miles on it.
The kit cost me around $370 shipped to my house.I had 4 new 31x10.5x15 mud brute ($480)tires install which put this a little higher then I thought(GREAT).The ride is what a jeep is,thats all there is to it!
Before doing a AAL,break out a tape to see how much it is from the rear center tire to the fender.It should be close to 17",were as the front should be 17.5".Mine was just right,so I don't think I will have a problem with the @ss end dropping soon.

Fish, are you saying this came with fixed LCA and UCA? where did you get this? and for 370 shipped?

I feel as though I will start with the RC lift, and if I need new products such as a trac-bar, I will go with RE becuase the price is not that substantial for the quality of the special components. I mean springs are springs right? Tell me if this is a good idea?

look here for a used RE trac-bar, everybody is selling them. ASK YOURSELF WHYARE THEY SELLING THEM???????????? I'll stick with my RC track bar, didn't bend when i bent my front rim an shock... I went sideways off a 2 foot drop off an landed hard on left front rim

scottmcneal said:
look here for a used RE trac-bar, everybody is selling them. ASK YOURSELF WHYARE THEY SELLING THEM???????????? I'll stick with my RC track bar, didn't bend when i bent my front rim an shock... I went sideways off a 2 foot drop off an landed hard on left front rim

I think by now everyone knows that you have take a 2 foot drop with no problems from the track bar. =P

I actually think because of this I will get the RC track bar when I get the $

scott, how long have you had your kit installed?

the reason i'm asking is more often than not on the other thread, someone is saying that their shock bushings are shredding because the shocks aren't valved right. sure, there is what seems to be a RC Rep handling that, but... that means THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM!

Now if you like scrambling your eggs while you drive, that's your deal. I'd rather my lifted jeep drive like a lifted jeep, instead of a rice-burner

Back