• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help: Jeep Died on me

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my jeep yesterday, not hot rodding it or anything when it all the sudden just spuddered out. I tried to crank it up again and it just turned over for a few seconds then backfired. The fuel pump was charging up, soo I'm guessing its an ignition problem, any one have any other ideas? BTW its an 88 cherokee manual w/ 4.6 stroker.

AD-8 said:
I was driving my jeep yesterday, not hot rodding it or anything when it all the sudden just spuddered out. I tried to crank it up again and it just turned over for a few seconds then backfired. The fuel pump was charging up, soo I'm guessing its an ignition problem, any one have any other ideas? BTW its an 88 cherokee manual w/ 4.6 stroker.

You guess it was ignition???? Was there fuel pressure on the rail? Have you checked the wiring for the CPS?

Check the CPS first. Then if that plug is clean and tight then I would check that you have 12v to coil.

see if your getting 6volts to the coil, then check to make sure your coil is good. If you arnt getting 6 volts to the coil it prolly the cps. If your coil is working properly i would check your cap and rotor and plugs/ wires

xalexjx said:
see if your getting 6volts to the coil, then check to make sure your coil is good. If you arnt getting 6 volts to the coil it prolly the cps. If your coil is working properly i would check your cap and rotor and plugs/ wires

Thought the coil got a full 12 volts not just 6 volts. Am I wrong and if I am what drops the voltage down to 6?

Back