• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problem from HELL!!!!!

jeepfreak84

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is pretty annoying, my xj's been kinda givin me some additude if you will, well here it is. anytime the key's outa the ignition if I touch the headlights,wiper switch or the turn signal switch the thing starts clicking at me from under the dash and turns to a steady annoying electrical buzzing sound, and oh the fun doesnt stop there, my drivers side electric door lock doesnt work so Iv'e found if I slide the selector for the a/c fan over from the off position all the doors lock, now how's that for fun. This is driving me nuts im about to blow the darn jeep up here:explosion , so what do you guys think??????? Iv'e torn the dash apart, checked every fuse, relay and circuit I can find, and I cant find a short anywhere and I know it's not the door buzzer cause I took that bugger out when I first bought the thing. Guys, thanks alot in advance :) I know this is a bit of a head scratcher, I know its gettin me, cause im wearing a hole in the top of my head with this one:smsoap:

Have you checked the wiring behind the fuze box.

I had some gemlins that went away if I jiggled the wires behind there.

Just a thought.

Yeah ive tried the wiggling things around, didnt work for me, i figure im gonna give the "loose wiring behind fuse box" a try. I wish this was the manual, a leaking clutch master cyl. would make more sense. Thanks guys ill let ya know how it turns out, or if i touch the wrong wire and it goes boom :)

Well my first thought is to relabel the AC fan switch as the door lock switch.

:jester:

Definately sounds like the igniton switch and probably the wiring/connector attached to it are both fried. It is on the extreem lower, slighty upper left side of the sterring column down near the gas peddle area. It is attached to the key-igntion-lock (mechanical) mechanism via a long rod.

A bit of pain to get up underneath of there to replace it, but that should be where your problem is.

jeepfreak84 said:
Well this is pretty annoying, my xj's been kinda givin me some additude if you will, well here it is. anytime the key's outa the ignition if I touch the headlights,wiper switch or the turn signal switch the thing starts clicking at me from under the dash and turns to a steady annoying electrical buzzing sound, and oh the fun doesnt stop there, my drivers side electric door lock doesnt work so Iv'e found if I slide the selector for the a/c fan over from the off position all the doors lock, now how's that for fun. This is driving me nuts im about to blow the darn jeep up here:explosion , so what do you guys think??????? Iv'e torn the dash apart, checked every fuse, relay and circuit I can find, and I cant find a short anywhere and I know it's not the door buzzer cause I took that bugger out when I first bought the thing. Guys, thanks alot in advance :) I know this is a bit of a head scratcher, I know its gettin me, cause im wearing a hole in the top of my head with this one:smsoap:

Well I do like the idea of relabling the a/c fan as the door lock switch, it'll keep me from having to reach all the way over to the passenger door when im feeling lazy :jester: Well I do believe you'r right about the ignition switch, I got a little bored today and decided to hold down all the switches that were giving me trouble all at once (dumb idea) the buzzing went away after about a minute or so but it was replaced by a nice toasty smell from under the dash ( smelled kinda like my wifes cooking ). so after reading you'r post here I decided to ask my neighbor next door if I could steal the ignition switch from his wrecked xj in his garage, sooooooo 5 bucks and 30 minutes later.............problem solved, well sorta the a/c still locks the doors :smsoap: again kinda cool for those lazy days :)

Dude you need to replace the wife, :eek: no I mean replace the cook! But keep the Jeep!

You need to get wiring diagram for that year and following the AC blower wiring and the Door lock wiring to look for a crossover short of some kind.

I replaced my switch with a new one twice in just 12 months and the second time I bypassed the ignition switch and ran a new wire from the fuse box to a new 30 amp in line fused, panel mounted toggle switch, and then to the one wire that feeds the power to the door locks, the AC blower and the turn signals and radio. IT was too much load (IMHO) for the one wire and ignition switch (new cheap ones from china) so I ran a 10 Ga wire from behind the fuse block bypassing the OEM fuse, installed a 30 amp in line fuse and I siad my prayers. Also did gremlin exorcism, but I doubt that will hold, its a jeep afterall!

jeepfreak84 said:
Well I do like the idea of relabling the a/c fan as the door lock switch, it'll keep me from having to reach all the way over to the passenger door when im feeling lazy :jester: Well I do believe you'r right about the ignition switch, I got a little bored today and decided to hold down all the switches that were giving me trouble all at once (dumb idea) the buzzing went away after about a minute or so but it was replaced by a nice toasty smell from under the dash ( smelled kinda like my wifes cooking ). so after reading you'r post here I decided to ask my neighbor next door if I could steal the ignition switch from his wrecked xj in his garage, sooooooo 5 bucks and 30 minutes later.............problem solved, well sorta the a/c still locks the doors :smsoap: again kinda cool for those lazy days :)

Last edited:
Was this Jeep wrecked? Or under water?
The only crossover (one certain positive wire shorted to another) one would think possible would be a horrible splice job somewhere, or a very pinched wire.
That is wild stuff.

Well thanx to me this thing has been under water a few times :) but dry her out and she keeps on going :cool: but she was doing this when I first bought her b4 she ever saw mud/water

Back