• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it?

5.9cummins

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a bone stock 1987 Jeep Cherokee. 2.8 liter, Auto, body in good condition interior is ok. Dan 35 rear Dana 30 front has command trac (not sure if it is vacuum or not) NP207 and well that’s all I know. 262,000 miles runs good, $400 bucks. Is it worth it? From what I hear the NP 207 is not that great the d35 will need a d44 if ya want 33's and a locker. The front is probably ok if it is not the vacuum kind. Any other advice?

Thanks

I bought a 85 for $600 stock with the 2.8. I'm unhappy with the power on the highway, but it is acceptable in 4L for wheeling. I just put 4.56 in the front and rear with lunchbox lockers in both (d30/d35). It came with 3.73's. It also has a 229 tcase and TF904 tranny. I'm currently running 32's and will go to 33's when these wear out. I'm also putting the EMPI 38/38 carb (Quadratec) on to see what that will do for it. The stock carb is off and the new one is being delivered in the AM. I will probably drop the 3.4 in when I get tired of the 2.8 and it finally takes a crap.

You might want to verify the year of the XJ, as the 2.8 wasn't available in 1987. The motor options were the 4.0 and the 2.5. IF someone swapped in the drivetrain from an older model, I would be curious as to why, as that is alot of work to go backwards on.

87 should be 4.0 i had one or you mean2.5 4cyl?
vacuum is okay d35 is weak but you can run it esp. with the 4cyl
how much? price dictates value
my 86 was 150 dollars and that makes its shortcomings bearable
how do you drive it?
style dictates strength requirements
dont blindly take the internet as total fact
you dont need dana60s and 2 billion to 1 crawl ratios to have fun
if you wheel stock you will be impressed
confidence and skill will go farther than all the equipment in the world
so only you can decide if its worth it

ren said:
You might want to verify the year of the XJ, as the 2.8 wasn't available in 1987. The motor options were the 4.0 and the 2.5. IF someone swapped in the drivetrain from an older model, I would be curious as to why, as that is alot of work to go backwards on.

I know for sure that it does not have the 4.0 so it must be the 2.5. So I'm getting the impression that its not that great of a deal?

I bought my 87 XJ for $200. Front axle has the vacuum actuator and it works really good. Couldnt say about the motor as mine came with the 4.0. But for that price you can buy another motor and swap it out. I put $1000 into making mine run good and even put in a 8.25 rearaxle. Me and my cuz did all the work and were really happy with it.

If it's an 87, it'll either be the in-line 4 cylinder (2.5 litre) or the in-line six cylinder (4.0 litre.) If it's a 2.8 V6, it's either an 86, or it's the oddest 87 around. :)

If it's the 2.5, it could be worth it. If it's the 2.8, it could still be worth it because you can swap in a 3.4 or a 4.3 V6 (with a LOT more work) and have lotsa fun with it.

Heck, the axles are good and someone might pay you for them. (D35 with non c-clip isn't too bad for mild wheeling.) It's up to you, but I wouldn't pay a dime more than what he's asking, and the body better be mint!

:)

PS: If you can, take a piccy of the engine and paste it up here; we'll be able to tell you what engine it is.

Back