• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wheeling/ down a decline, smell gas????

midnightXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 5.5 lifted 98 XJ 4.0 HO and ever since i bought her, even when she was stock, when 4wheeling downhill, I would smell gas. Also the check engine light would go on and eventually go off after a day or so. Is this a fuel regulator or something? I want to do the Rubicon soon and obviously don't feel comfortable going in this condition. Please help!

Thanks,
Todd

If yours is like my 96, the pump is mounted on the Front side of the Tank. There is a rubber o ring that may be leaking on yours when the fuel is sitting directly on it.

97+ pump is internal, not as "easy" to access as our earlier ones supposedly are.

Still, have you looked underneath to see if you have any leakage? Gotten your codes pulled to see why the light was on?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Gotta agree with the above post, sounds like a bad seal somewhere in the front of the tank, I had this b4 (not in my xj) in an old probe I had, pretty scary actualy especialy if you'r a smoker :smoker: which always gets ya thinking is this gonna end well???????:flame:

It could be a simple as a bad gas cap. On my 99, the check engine light kept coming on intermittently. Then I almost rolled it....and while I was sitting about half a degree away from a roll, someoen said that gas was pouring out of my filler cap. Went and had the cap pressure tested, and sure enough, bad gas cap.

When mine would do this, it turned out to be the vents on the top of the tank. The rubber gromets had worn out. I also replaced the front o-ring because it would leak if I ever filled the tank above half full.

Back