• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the Ft. and Rear Main Bearings/ 4.0

midnightXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 5.5 lifted 98 XJ 5 spd and with 140k on the 4.0 HO motor and the Front and Rear Main Seals are leaking. I've heard that you can replace both F & R seals w/out pulling the motor. I hoping that someone could provide the best way to accomplish this task. I already bought both seals and an oil pan seal. I guess i'll need a timing chain cover seal which i'll have to get as well. Also when i've been driving a while and the oil is hot, in neutral/idol, the oil pressure drops significantly to 15. Is this my oil pump going out as well?? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

midnightXJ said:
I have a 5.5 lifted 98 XJ 5 spd and with 140k on the 4.0 HO motor and the Front and Rear Main Seals are leaking.

if it is just the seals you want to replace there is a very nice stickie in the oem section about it. following those instructions worked fine for me. i used the newer style pan gasket on my 89 renix. the valve cover stud trick is really nice when you are doing it by yourself.

if it is actually bearings you want to replace that is a different story. if you are taking that much apart you might as well stroke it.

sorry not in oem. in faq. which makes sense since it actually is a frequently asked question.

Not too bad. The rear seal is done through the oil pan. The front seal is a seperate job and you get to it by pulling the harmonic balancer. YOU don't have to pull the timing cover, but there is not a huge amount of room to work in though.

Back