• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need advice on a buy

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
I'm barely a shadetree mechanic.... what would cost be for a do-it-yourself job vs. a repair shop be? Trying not to get hosed... and also looking for a good offroad vehicle.

90 jeep cherokee-project 4x4. Was excellent off roader. 4.0, auto, ps, pb, tilt, a/c, 3 inch lift, trac-loc rear axle,30 inch all terrains, many new/replaced parts. Needs eng. work(probable blown head gasket),noisy rod or main bearing, radiator leaks, rear hatch is stuck. Still runs but rough and will overheat fast. Tires and rear axle alone are worth the price. 700$

i would buy it as a parts car but i ony need the vent window and maybe a steering column, so i'm thinking maybe a jeep #2 if I can keep the price LOW

Ijust spent the last several months keeping my eyes open for an XJ. I am not a mechanic, so I choose to avoid any with known engine problems.

I wasn't looking for a project XJ. I wanted a reasonably reliable around towner and weekender.

I would keep shopping. I came across several fairly clean ones under $2K, that did not appear to need any work. Then there were lots in the $1,500-$1,000 range. Some needed mechanical work, some needed other work. It just takes time to find one that needs the work you are comfortable with.

If you have to pay for those repairs on top of the $700 purchase you will be into it for much more than what you can find.

thanks, pretty much what i concluded after thinking about it for awhile

You may be able to find a junkyard engine for it pretty cheap. I bought one out of a 89 a couple years back for $500 and could have gotten a guarentee for another $50. That engine was still in that Jeep when I sold it and was working just fine last January because the guy I sold it to posted up on another forum and we PMed back and forth a few times. He had A/C problems with his XJ at that time and wanted to fix it before he drove it to Disneyworld in March.

Back