• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

firestik question

What type of paint will you use, and do you think it will adhere to the plastic coating on the antenna? Is not a can of good paint the same approximate price as a Firestick antenna? Do you think that mounting a 4' Firestick antenna horizontally from the front grill will make the XJ look a tad more like a narwhal?

Try some electrical shrink tube.... Should certainly be radio-inert, and can be applied with a heat gun or even a good hair dryer.

rocknxj said:
What type of paint will you use, and do you think it will adhere to the plastic coating on the antenna? Is not a can of good paint the same approximate price as a Firestick antenna? Do you think that mounting a 4' Firestick antenna horizontally from the front grill will make the XJ look a tad more like a narwhal?

i really dont think a can of paint is the same price as a new antenna. i dont know about you but im not trying to spend ~25 bucks on some spray paint. if ive already got the antenna why would i buy a new one?

anywho, i'll try out the narwhal idea and let you know how it works out.

thanks.

XpedientJ said:
Try some electrical shrink tube.... Should certainly be radio-inert, and can be applied with a heat gun or even a good hair dryer.

Ditto. I did this to wrap the bottom of mine so the existing shrink tubing on the antenna wouldn't fray any more. Works great.

John90XJ said:
Ditto. I did this to wrap the bottom of mine so the existing shrink tubing on the antenna wouldn't fray any more. Works great.

I bet that would affect at least the tuning of it. I know just the little cap on the top affects the tune.

painted mine with spray paint made for plastic (cant remember what its called) works great! hasnt chiped yet and i have had it snaged pritty good its been painted for anbout a year now

1996cc said:
I bet that would affect at least the tuning of it. I know just the little cap on the top affects the tune.

It's what's under the little cap on top that affects tuning....it's where you tune the antenna.

If changing the color is that critical and doing it for so little money as to avoid buying a new antenna is the goal, I'm guessing the possibility of losing some performance is not that big a deal. :cool:

gijosiahh said:
i really dont think a can of paint is the same price as a new antenna. i dont know about you but im not trying to spend ~25 bucks on some spray paint. if ive already got the antenna why would i buy a new one?

anywho, i'll try out the narwhal idea and let you know how it works out.

thanks.
no dont do the narwhal look. it will look weird.

You'd need a GC to get the true narwhal look :wierd:

XpedientJ said:
The PLASTIC cap affects tuning??
That is what I said.

It says so right on the package, and when I tuned mine, it was definately a different reading with it on versus off. The instructions tell you to make sure you are testing it with the cap on.

1996cc said:
That is what I said.

It says so right on the package, and when I tuned mine, it was definately a different reading with it on versus off. The instructions tell you to make sure you are testing it with the cap on.

Yea thats where the signal comes out of, not the rest of the antenna. And actually when you "tune" it you dont put it on fully you just set it over the top of the brass adjuster. :confused1

Back