• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start???

rms692

NAXJA Forum User
ok, was driveing home the other day and jeep just died, no movement of tac when cranking so i replaced cps...plenty of spark,fuel at rail and still no start or movement of tac?????? any ideas????
Rich

could be the starter?

if its cranking its not the starter. what was the last thing you did to the jeep before this happened? or did it just start suddenly? the tachometer wont move until the engine is running, not during cranking so dont worrk about that.

GrimmJeeper said:
post in oem tech you get more answers that way.
i agree, the best mechs on this site are in oem or mod for mechanical issues but if you want to get crazy on designing stuff go advanced tech and engineering. ( is that subtle enough to not be flameing :firedevil ???)

was cruisin down the road at 65 and just died, started up once then no more, starter is fine,(it turns over, have spark and fuel at rail under pressure) could it be computer? next im going to pull the fuel rail and see if injectors are working, is there an eeasier way to check this??? thanx Rich...

What year? Is it your 89 that I saw in your profile? Does it start up and die or did it just start up again the one time?

rms692 said:
was cruisin down the road at 65 and just died, started up once then no more, starter is fine,(it turns over, have spark and fuel at rail under pressure) could it be computer? next im going to pull the fuel rail and see if injectors are working, is there an eeasier way to check this??? thanx Rich...

Rich first check the schrader valve on the fuel rail if you have good pressure then the next thing is to see if you have spark. I won't go into that but if you have problems doing that then post up. The next thing is the fuel pump resistor on the drivers side fenderwell. You say that you have checked the CPS, are you sure that you have a clean connection on the plug? Last you should pull the airfilter because on an older XJ blowby will eventually soak the airfilter w/ oil and thus shut off air supply to the TB.

OK, i have fuel and spark but no fire. new cps and dist....it started up once after it died the first time but no more...when cranking now it coughs out intake when stop cranking....if the timeing chain jumped sprocket would that cause it to not run????

that would be my guess.

spark, fuel, CPS (new?), dist.
If the computer is satisfied with CPS and Distributor (Cam) sensor sync, fuel would be injected.
You couldn't have that many injectors clog at once..
only thing missing in the equation would be air.
Is your CCV system so clogged that your air filter is oil-soaked? (mikeforte's response)

Last edited:
no cloged air filter, its off at intake......when i turned dist around it backfired LOUDLY..lol scared the crap outa my kids, made my day a little briter...lol

Try putting your #1 cylinder at TDC and see where you distributor rotor is pointing. Then you will know if it jumped time or not. If it did you should replace gears as well as the chain, because they are probably too worn to hold a new chain very long anyway. You don't want to do this again any time soon.

Back