• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Tire ?????????

chrisgood1

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buying my self some new rubber. I am not sure what i want. My rig is mainly for the trail so on road is not a huge factor. I have been shoping around and I am looking at the ProComp Muds and the Toyo Open Country M/T. And one using them or know of something better?

I just bought a new set of Pro Comp Extreme MT....literally....they are in the back of my shop....they are a good looking tire with medium sized lugs...they won't pull in thick mud like a TSL, but since this will be my DD....I opted for them instead of my normal TSL...if they last as long as my first set of Coopers (same manufacturer)...i will be happy for a little trade off on traction..

Ya it is a trail rig but it needs to be road friendly as i am a college student and can not afford a trailer so it will see road miles.

how many miles on the street?
a radial TSL might do well, but don't expect more than 20K miles of street use before it's bald.
Might want to consider the trxus mt, lots of guys like those for road/trail use.
other than that, there's always the standard BFG mud.

I had 35" ProComp MTs on my yj and they impressed me. They are surprisingly quiet and they wore nicely. They clean pretty well also. Much more road mannered than a TSL but will not perform as well. As with anything there is a trade off. Not to mention they balanced pretty easy, I cant recall the exact weight but I know it wasnt much. I think you will be happy with the ProComps.

I second the Truxus as a good compromise.

A lot of people knock pro-comp tires....while I've never had a set personally, a wheeling buddy has a set of their 33MTs and they do well. He beats on them pretty good and hasn't had any problems with them.

If you're on a budget, pretty much any budget MT should do you pretty well. I've had great luck with a set of Mastercraft MTs. They flex well when aired down, and the sidewalls seem to be nice and tough. Also, they ride on the road real well once aired up.

Another good budget MT is the Mud King. They're pretty cheap, and they're actually an XT. Looks wise, they look like a cross between an MT and a TSL, but since it says XT on the sidewall, you can get road hazard warranty on them, which is a bonus for a lot of people.

If it isn't something that you have to commute in also, then go with a TSL or LTB!!

Last edited:
I recently bought a set of 4 used 36 TSL Radials and put them on, they have 40% tread and outperformed my brand new BFG Mud si had before hands down. Since ive bought them ive put about 2000 miles on em and havent noticed any tread wear yet

To dust off an old thread....I just passed the 10k mileage mark on the 12.5/33 Pro Comp Xtreme MTs.....very little wear, excellent road manners, still suprisingly quiet for a MT (much quieter than my old Cooper SST) and have great wet weather traction....

Back