• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box options?

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with 6" of lift and 34's, 203K. I have death-wobble and I cant seem to pin it down. I also have a mystery clunk when turning the wheel back and forth.

I rotated and rebalanced all the tires, replaced the whole tie rod bar with a Rustys unit, replaced the steering dampened, tightened and adjusted the track bar more then a couple times, had it aligned 3 times, and then lastly I just replaced the left inner tie rod.

When I did the last tie rod, I grabbed the pitman arm and shook it, and there was the mystery clunk. The mounting points for the box are ok, so I know I havnt ripped the unibody (yet). I know, reinforcements and a brace are soon to come. But what are my best options here? I read up a little on the Durango box. XJ junkyard box maybe?

So ya, I'm going to continue to search, but what are my best options here you think?

the clunking can occur in the tierod ends and in the steering box. So if you believe that ALL your TREs are good and the clunk indeed occurs in the steering box, might consider replacing it. Since you do have Rustys components, I would have someone move the steering wheel back n forth and look for the play in the tierod, draglink, trackbar, etc..

I just completed the Durango box upgrade on mine with new PS pump and hoses. Its not too difficult. I havent driven it around yet but many have completed this upgrade. Also one thing to note that if you do get a reman'd Durango box, they might have a hair of play in them.

mine is doing the same thing with death wobble..... ive been through everything.... 2 wheel bearings, 1 tre, track bar, 2 ball joints lower and upper... and the clunk continues... still havnt found out why its clunking...

Look at the hole in the bracket for the axle end trackbar mount. It likes to oval out and give behavior like you are describing..

Back