• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Towing Failure

filmxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if any of you guys have had your AW-4 go out as a result of towing. I know they're supposed to be good boxes and I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I keep wondering if it can really tow 5000 pounds without trouble. That's quite a bit for a vehicle of this size/wheelbase/weight.

Owners manual says to use drive (3rd) in hilly areas when towing, which implies that OD is ok for flatter ground.

I have a 6x16 tandem axle flatbed that I can load as much weight on as I am comfortable with. I have electric brakes that work well, but I used to tow it with a 3/4 ton diesel suburban. The cherokee is a lot less vehicle from a brute force standpoint.

So can I really tow 5000 pounds (properly equiped) safely with this thing?

Anyone toasted theirs towing? If so, what were the circumstances?

Thanks!

I think i would worry more about the brakes. Stock brakes are really not the best. I would say that from a safety stand point it would not be wise. I know that with that much weight you would not be able to stop quickly, and would burn up the brakes in a hilly area.

With a cooler & towing in 3rd it will be fine. I also believe the brakes are the main problem. JIM.

Back