• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x11.5s on 1.5"bb. whats next?

rag

NAXJA Forum User
ive had my 89renix truck for a little over a year, it was scratchless when i picked it up.

now i dont even flinch if i flop my truck on its side, just as long as my door still opens and my glass doesnt hurt my passengers.

1.5" over stock with front zj coils and an extra isolator. i spliced an upcountry xj leaf pack to give me roughly 1 and 1/4" in the rear. i trimmed one front fender just to get the hang of it, never got around to the rest. no carpet. front bumber was ripped off some time ago. driver side flares got ripped off so i took the remaining two off to match. i rolled on some rustoleum flat black on a fender and the hood just to get the hang of it, never got around to the rest of the truck. uniden cb with a stubborn firestick firefly that wont tune.

yesterday i purchased 4 pepboy brand tires, 31x11.5r15. buy 3 the 4th free. roughly 350 out the door. i mounted and balanced them myself on four 15x8 cragar soft 8s, 4inch backspacing. each wheel took about 2- 3 grams to balance. 33psi all around. i have both swaybars connected and i have yet to get my tires to rub

now for the point of this topic. i need a second opinion on my next purchase.

i have 2"coilspacers, ill be using some yj brake lines off of rockauto.com

i need lift shackles, disco's, trackbar, ideally upper and lower CA's but lowers might do the trick, axle shims?, shocks.

these are my picks, id like some feedback on what to persure and avoid:
-teraflex 1.5shackles
-maybe some homebrew discos, i havent given the aftermarket choices much thought
-tnt track bar or the HD RE option, i am dead set on eliminating the upper tie rod end
-controll arm choices are still up in the air but a set of RKs or REs arent out of the question
-i have no idea on the shocks, as long as they work properly, are safe and dont limit my flex i could care less about the harshness/bounce of the ride

i want to lift my truck, if nessisary i will homebrew a tcase spacer, if i am not satisfied with my clearance i wont think twice about dropping the money for a proper sye kit.

this piece of junk will not see the trails until 2008, skid plates and recovery will have to wait, i want to get the driveability and suspension work done first.

did i miss anything?

id also like to add my apologies for my terrible spelling and grammar :twak:

this is how it sat before the tires. 235s all around cept for that 215 in the front passenger side.
1a02f15f5bfd.jpg

after the tires
54f6b267c468.jpg

i come very close to rubbing but im very surprised i didnt, i predict a different story with my swaybars disconnected
c7efb17dc1c9.jpg

id also like to mention they stick out a good 4inches past my front cut fender. inspection is due, garden edge home depot special here i come
f8308193641b.jpg

some shameless pictures from today.

337c5d1a420c.jpeg
900387d854d6.jpeg
9d9e33d42b8b.jpeg
7ec6c737ce35.jpeg
4e36aba6efff.jpeg
7766cf3dd34c.jpeg
768a563eb039.jpeg

i broke out the 17 dollar jigsaw from walmart and went to town. i trimmed the both driver side fenders, the 5th picture is the scrap metal from the front drivers fender.

for the front i basically cleaned the area real well with some water/dishsoap before hand, then i just used the edges of the fender as a guide and cut away. i then brakecleaned the raw metal and shot it with some rustoleum black satin finish.

for the rear i basically just cut the entire section into slits and used my 8lb sledge to smash them into the fender. cleaning the entire area with dishsoap and water ofcourse. the ends were kinda tricky due to the tire being in the way and me being stupid enough to leave my 21mm socket at work. i brake cleaned the area, wirewheeled the entire chipping and peeling area and shot it with a couple couts of rustoleum black satin.

tomorrow ill see about somehow sealing the gnarled metal inside the fender with something. any suggestions? silicone? rubberised undercoating? truck bed lining?

forgive me for the picture quality

feedback would be nice :roll:

go get um!!
throw in an Aussie locker and you'll be unstopable.

5621af95c933.jpeg

im finished with making it look halfway decent

how do i seal the jagged metal that was bent into the fender? undercoating? silicon? roof tar? bondo? rtv?

i drove through some rain for teh past two days and i have puddles inside my rear quarter panels.

rag said:
5621af95c933.jpeg

how do i seal the jagged metal that was bent into the fender? undercoating? silicon? roof tar? bondo? rtv?

i drove through some rain for teh past two days and i have puddles inside my rear quarter panels.

The best way is to weld it.

You can half ass it and use silicon (What I did).
It holds up well but make sure you get the moisture out and make sure you don't leave any holes.

There's another write up on using silicon and it comes out to a clean look (once again, unlike mine)... Search flare relocator or fender trimming.

rag said:

Check http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90022 for a great writeup on trimming and sealing the rear.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back