• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj good or bad

sadrifter58

NAXJA Forum User
just got a 89 xj for a 100 bucks and everything works. just a little rusty. just wondering if it's worth doing anything to it. just want it for play. and maybe someone could tell me what kind of rearend it's got.

Last edited:
Make sure the floor is solid under the passenger seat area, that is the most common spot for rust to make the metal disappear.

89Daytona said:
From the Faqs section:
Axles
Dana 30 axle (has anybody noticed that there are two Dana 30 faq/info threads in the faqs section?)
Transfer cases
Transmissions
There's a lot of duplicated and squandered effort in that section. :dunno:

If you want to see the rear axles available so you can comare them to yours, the FAQ isn't where you want to go anyway. Hit the link on my website (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html) shown above and see what you think. Odds are STRONGLY in favor of your having a D35 in any '89, but there are always exceptions.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Dude, if brackets are just twisting off I would be very worried about crtical mounts on the unibody rails as well as the body itself. That sounds kinda scarey. Get it checked very well as your life is worth more (presumably) then the $100.

That being said, I have an '89 (early) and it has the non c-clip D35 rear, D30 disco (vacuum) up front with the BA10 /5 transmission and NP231 TC, 4.0L HO (swapped from an MJ). I love it.

Last edited:
Back