• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tires = Noise Question

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
girlfriends got a 2000 XJ sport that she recently got new tires for. used to have 225/75 r15 but wanted to put some bigger ones on and the tireguy said 235/75 r15 would be ok.

it seems that after the new tires were installed that when you take a sharper turn you here a "binding" noise similar to the noise you here while in 4WD and making sharper turns.

is this just due to the newer, bigger tires?
are those too big for factory? are they stressing out the suspension?

i am just worried about her xj wearing out and breaking, its her daily rider.

Too big for factory? Naw. I had 235's on my 2000 for two years before i went back to the factory 225 (It's a daily driver, and both my parents are cripples. No lift on that one!). Of course, i was running Toyo....something or others. I had no problems at all, but the same size tire from different manufacturers may not be the same real world sizes.

There are a number of people who run crazy big tires on factory components. Most of the time, they get wheeled hard and something breaks, but this tire size increase isn't for crazy wheeling right?

Those tires are only ten millimeters wider and about the same taller than stock, so it shouldn't be stressing anything. That much rubber isn't enough extra weight to cause extra stress.

The binding noise, is the noise the same at all speeds, or does it change according to your speed? It could be tire rub. Have someone turn the tire lock to lock while you (Carefully) peer underneath and watch for contact. Also, while the wheel is at full turn, have someone bounce one both corners a bit and watch for contact while doing that. This is important because when your vehicle turns, it leans to one side a bit, so even if there is no tire rubbing when the vehicle is level, there may be when the vehicle leans a bit.

Hmm, ... does the same thing happen when you turn the wheel just a little bit, or just at full lock?

Is it only under full turn? It may simply be the lugs of the wider tire hitting the LCA. My buddy's BFG A/Ts do. His SSRs used to. The A/Ts give a quick ping ping ping type sound, swampers gave a slower sounding ping but thats cause of obviously less lugs and such.

thats what i am thinking. it sounds more like a ujoint "noise".
the thing is it seemed to just start after the new tires were put on.?.

i'll check for rubbing but this noise is more of a metal clinking sound.

metal clicking = wheel joints.

I definately had that issue a couple years back. Get down under the front end and turn the front driveshaft. You will most likely be able to turn the shaft a [small] amount, while you watch the wheel u-joints. One if not both of them will most likely be sloppy and need to be replaced. My joints made a nice clicking sound when they were gone.
I just wasnt sure what type of sound you were hearing, but yeah, check for rubbing but esp check U-joints too, that would be my guess hearing what you now said. Hope that helps

I'm running 265/75-16's (only a 2 inch coil spacer up front so everything else of the front end is essentially stock.) and only bind the lower control arm at full lock.235's shouldn't be causeing you any problem at all... x3 on the U joints.

Back