• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signal teaking out

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
so im guessing that its a simple short but dont know where to start. first my rear driverside blinker doesnt work and ive tried replacing bulbs and still nothing. then about a month later my left signal indicator on my dash comes on when i turn on my lights parking or headlights. then i turn on my signal and the light stays on. at first i thought it was just a dash light out of place but i got out and neither of my left blinkers are working. any ideas? oh the wierd thing is that my friend had the same thing with her dash indicator coming on with the lights and mine didnt start doing it until i hooked up to her xj with a chain to tow her out. immediately mine started doing it too. coincidence?

i had to replace the light socket when that happened to me (twice so far on different jeeps).

You might try getting a steel bottle brush (battery section at autozone or someplace like that) and cleaning the contacts before replacing.

I just swapped it out with another one I had from a donor jeep. cut and splice.

alright thanks, i have a parts jeepp so ill give that a try.

my left dash indicator does the exact damn thing yours does...and none of my turn signals work, but emerg flashers work fine. turn signal switch feels wierd too...i can feel it click and lock when doing a "right turn" signal...but no click or lock for a "left turn". Gonna check that mechanism as well as my ignition switch. any luck fixing your yet?? I HATE electrizical problems.:confused1:shocked::explosion

just got done fixing this problem with my mj. okay first of all the hazard's are on a different loop then the blinkers. I had some hack wiring on mine but also the sockets on jeeps are garbage. I had to use chevy sockets for my front lower markers. Start at point one with running lights off does any light's blink? two if which ever side comes on in the dash when you turn your parking lights on is the side you need to pay attention to. three check all bulbs and sockets. let me know how this turns out.

Sounds like a bad flasher unit to me. I had the same problem where they either wouldnt blink at all, or would stay on without blinking. Bulbs werent the issue at all. The unit itself is a small gray box that is under the steering column by the drivers side door. It should just pull right out and all you need to do is put a new one in. From the dealer it is about 40 bucks, parts stores want about 20 but most yards will give one to you for free. Since most yards out here dont have 97+ XJ's I found that one from a 96 XJ worked, though anything before I think 96 wont work. Just take yours out and bring it with you to compare so you can see for yourself, the part #'s will be different but they will work. The part # for the unit if you have a 97+ is 56021551.

If you have a pre 96 XJ there should be two round units on the fuse panel by the the drivers side door. One is for hazards the other is for the turn signals. For 97+ hazards and turn signals are all in one unit as pictured below.
triep27003.jpg

Back