• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extending e-brake cables

cuboulder96xj

NAXJA Forum User
well after installing the new BOR 6" leafs and TnT 1" Boomerang shackles, my e-brake cables are as tight as a drum! how can i extend these without breaking the bank? the moment i flex this bad boy, they're gonna rip out of the hub. any help is very much appreciated. can i use some junkyard cables for more length?

thanks!

If you have rear drum brakes, you can get two passenger side YJ cables.

Or two KJ cables if you've converted to rear disc brakes.

thanks, i've been searching and reading hard and it seems like the YJ cables are a good route for me. where is the best place to track these down? dealership? auto parts store? junkyard? also, how much would the two cables cost? i just dropped a pretty penny on this project and on a college student's budget, i'm strapped right now kinda. finally, is there a specific year or can it be anywhere from 1987 to 1995? (or whatever the YJ lifespan was)

xjohnnyc said:
If you have rear drum brakes, you can get two passenger side YJ cables.

Or two KJ cables if you've converted to rear disc brakes.

Sorry but this is the first time i heard about the KJ cables.

Will they be long enough for a 96xj with a 8.8 rear with disc?

It's either NAPA part number UP 95371 or 372. Just make sure you get two pass side ones. The run about $23 a pop.

C85D4x4 said:
Sorry but this is the first time i heard about the KJ cables.

Will they be long enough for a 96xj with a 8.8 rear with disc?

Yes. Part number is 52128510AG.

On my '92 I just removed the cable stays under the tranny tunnel and moved them back about 2.5" and rewelded them to the sheetmetal. Then I extended the adjusting rod at the "y" connector by welding some more threaded rod on. The threaded rod is metric 8X1.25. I took a long bolt I had with alot of unthreaded shank and ran a die down it it make the threads. It gave me much more usable length for practically free.

Back