• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loss of the powersteering

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday i noticed a complete loss of power steering when i came to a stop, while in gear and idling. once i give it the slightest bit of gas its fine. i checked the fluid, and its up to level. i have no ...new...leaks. no powers steering leaks anyways. i turned the truck off and didnt look any further at it. then went home and now the prob is gone. i know that i should be glad its not still going it, but i want to know why so that i may prevent it.
when i lost the steereng i lost it bad. i mean it seems easier to turn the wheel with out the engine running than it was yesterday.:huh:

it sounds as though the pressure releif valve in the output side of the pump was stopped up. I would drain and flush the system and remove the valve and clean it. I have not done it on the Jeep, but as far as I am aware, it will unscrew from the pressure hose port and will look like a metal cylinder (like a valve lifter) with a few holes in it and a spring backing it up inside.

--Shorty

Thanks Shorty, i was thinking a clog but i didnt think there was any holes that small in a power steering system. or how it would be fine now. i thought maybe burned up fluid, but either way the assumed remedy would be a flush. it didnt have the sound of a pump going bad, you know that wwaaaaawaaaaaawwaaaaa sound that every Ford sounds like!!! and the answer to the milage question, 214,893. Runs like a champ, it just could use a timing set and push rods. sounds a little loose/streched on the chain part.

Last edited:
Back