• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Questions

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
No, I'm not a stupid noob and I searched through 7 pages and didn't really find what I wanted to know.

I've got 5 days to finish my build to go wheeling for a week, and I notice my front brakes are grinding. I'm assuming my calipers are okay, they don't appear to be dragging or overheating, so I just need to replace pads and probably rotors(my rotors looked pretty crappy last time I looked at 'em.)

Are there any pads or rotors that will significantly increase my braking over stock? Are the cheap Autozone brake pads fine? I'm on a very tight budget, but just want to know if it's worth it for the higher end stuff or if we're just payin for a name.

Also.. How do you "adjust" drum brakes? I know what to do to adjust it, but what do you adjust it to and how do you know what's right?

thanks,
Mike

This is a 92 XJ on 33's, I'm aware the stock brakes are not good for 33's, I'll be replacing my MC/booster with a WJ one when I get the extra money, but for now, it sucks to be me.

Last edited:
Autozone pads are okay, I use them.

Drum adjustment:
1. Remove the rubber shoe adjustment plug from the backing plate (i.e. on the back)
2. Using a small screwdriver or brake adjustment tool, turn the star wheel out to move the shoes outward to push them against the drum (I forget if that's up or down on the star wheel, just look at the threads on the star wheel before you put the drum on to be sure which way the thread go).
3. Do step 2. while turning the drum. Once the drum starts to drag, back off the star wheel just until the drum stops dragging.
4. Go have a beer and admire your handy-work.

I use regular NAPA pads and rotors. avoid slotted/cross drilled rotors at all costs. they are usualy just cheap chineese rotors that had no buisness being drilled or slotted and will usualy end up shattering from what i understand.

properly bleed and adjusted brakes will help a bunch. since you are thinking you will have to manually adjust your rears, why not just replace the shoes and springs for good measure and piece of mind? just be sure to take digital pictures of the process or have a good repair manual with detailed pictures (for spring orientation). when re assembling, take apart the self adjuster (screws out), clean any crusted up grease, and apply high temp grease. the self adjuster will usualy work alright for a while after that.

hth
stewie

Back