• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders......How do they do?

Funrover

NAXJA Forum User
I have built sliders for other 4x4's with frames..... I have used many with frames.... The Jeep is my first uni-body. I have done reading about Pince seams... But how well do they really hold up? what are recomendations? any advice? Could I build a frame(in a manner of speaking) that I could mount sliders to or would that be overkill?

Any pics would be great also

Thanks!

Do a few searches and it will bring up a plethora of information on this subject.

At any rate I wouldn't use just the pinch seem as a mounting point. When I had my C4x4 rails on my XJ they mounted on the pinch seem as well as two areas on the unibody. It depends on if they're for show or function, but two or three carefully places supports that tie into the main unibody rails should be just fine for something that isn't a dedicated trail machine. If you want to 'go nuts' a full unibody sleeve with tied in sliders would be the best thing next to boatsides.

My home-brewed sliders hold up just fine.

P5030208.jpg

The main body is 2"x2" box and the tube is 1.5"- .120" wall HREW - welded directly to the unibody using (3) 1.5" dia. pieces of tube with 3/16" 'foot" plates.I've beat the hell out of them for 4 years and they're still going strong.

anyone know how much sliders would/do stiffen up the unibody? i'm getting the ones from protofab and was wondering if they'd brace up the body any?

planefixer said:

P5030208.jpg

The main body is 2"x2" box and the tube is 1.5"- .120" wall HREW - welded directly to the unibody using (3) 1.5" dia. pieces of tube with 3/16" 'foot" plates.I've beat the hell out of them for 4 years and they're still going strong.

Is that the "fun" spot on... Pritchet Cyn(?) in Moab? That spot scares the hell out of me... and I just watched Goatman do it!

Ten High said:
anyone know how much sliders would/do stiffen up the unibody? i'm getting the ones from protofab and was wondering if they'd brace up the body any?
I wouldn't count on them adding any significant strength to the unibody unless they mount both to the pinch seam and the frame in at least 4 spots. Sometimes if you make something too stiff it tends to crack.

IntrepidXJ said:
Rocker Knocker....Pritchett Canyon
A name well deserved. I remember thinking how close you have to come to rolling to get up it. Crazy... simply crazy. Makes me want to go back! My palms are starting to sweat again!

jeeperjohn said:
I wouldn't count on them adding any significant strength to the unibody unless they mount both to the pinch seam and the frame in at least 4 spots. Sometimes if you make something too stiff it tends to crack.

they mount to the pinch seam in a really nice "clamp" style with quite a few bolts, and then to the framerail in two spots on each side. i figured it'd be nice if i gained some suppport along with the protection.

I built combination sliders and side steps. They mount to the unibody "frame" in 3 places. I didn't bolt to the pinch seam, but made platforms on the three struts and filled the void with hockey pucks cut to fit. I've slid across so many rocks it isn't funny and there is no distress to the body. Last trip to Rausch creek, I ended up being high centered on the slider. You can see details at my web site http://home.windstream.net/rsolomon/jeep.htm . Got to the sliders part.

planefixer said:

Would you mind taking a few pics?

interesting stuff there...

Back