• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle binding

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
1997 xj 4.0L auto np 231. When i turn sharply the front acts like it has a locker and its binding. Kinda like its in 4x4 when its in 2 hi (its not in 4x4). any ideas? I know its not a t case chain skipping because it isnt that violent, just a jerking binding movement. thanks in advance

Check the front u-joints. Jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel with the steering straight and then with the steering turned. If it's a bad u-joint it will bind or feel stiff turning the wheel with the steering turned. The slight drag from the brakes is normal, btw.

I've got to replace one on my ZJ for this exact reason. With the wheel turned and spinning in the air, it's very hard to turn. Its very noticeable in a tight turn as a pusling in the steering wheel. I just did the above test last night to confirm it;s the pass side.

brianho13. my front right drags on my control arm and swaybar disconnect when turned left, the swaybar digs in, when right it rips at the lca. how does one correct this? adjusting the ful lock? how is that done btw. thanks,

Nav

Last edited:
Look at steering stop on the the knuckles. There is a bolt that sticks out and hits the knuckle at full-lock. Unscrew it and put a washer or two under the nut to extend it out a bit.

Its your u-joints. My 97 just did the exact same thing. Dedicate at least 2 hours per side if you havent had your hub or anything apart before. Get a 36 mm socket(most auto parts stores will rent for free), hammer and a flat chisel to get the hub off. The axle will just slide out after the hub is off. Good luck.

PS..It would be wise to do both sides while you have the time, and make sure to grease those u-joints.

Back