• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turning left i get some weird noises

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
any help diagnosing this is appreciated. its only when i turn left slow in a parking lot. thats when its most noticable.

now at first i suspected my front axle ujoints. which indeed needing replacing. so i did it thinking well they need doing anyways, and its a good chance thats the problem. Well same thing. didn't change a thing.

last weekend. i swapped out the entire front d30 housing along all the steering compenents except the trackbar. reason i did this was i wanted the 3.55 gears in it. as well as it was a non disco axle. anyways, so i figure that should rule out tie rod ends, balljoints, front wheel bearings, ujoints etc.

still same sound when turning left. its hard to describe. but its like a low pitch grinding/crunchy sound. if that makes sense. not sure how to describe it better.

its a 88 xj 4.0 aw4. 3" lift and 31's.

Last edited:
actually lol. right after i posted that. i had the brain wave of unhooking my jks disco's. and it didn't have any effect on it. sound was still there.

now enless you mean by unhooking swaybar. to actually undo it totally from the mounts as well.

i should also mention. this seemed to start happening after it sat in one spot for about 3 weeks up on ramps while i did my aw4 conversion.

what bushing though?
swaybar bushing? i think i ruled that out by disco'ing the disconnects and testing it. noise was still there.

i'm almost leaning to it being the crappy rockyroad coil spring spacers binging with the oem rubber isolator.

I was gonna say the coil itself shifting when you turn... mine does that when I turn thought it was the u-joints or wheel bearings so I replaced both joints and one of the bearings (everything needed done) and it was still there and I narrowed it down that the coil shifts when the weight is shifted... can be fixed with some garden hose slid over the end of the coils... just havent gotten around to it...

ya thats exactly it. it sounds exactly like it would be a ujoint or wheel bearing. but thats all been changed.

well i've ordered some rusty's 4.5" coil springs to rid my jeep of 3" worth of spacers. i'll see what that does.

Does it get harder to turn the wheel at all? Mine makes a sounds that sounds like it might be similar and I'm thinking it might be the power steering pump.

oh hey i know
i know

after u lifted with out getting a adjustable trac bar ur axle shifted to the passenger side therefore the driver side tire sits closer to the control arms
causing them to rub on them

look at ur lower arms on ur driver side i bet u will see some marks were the tires been rubbing

cas

Rule out the bearings. Take wheel off, pull break caliper off disk, turn hub. You should be able to tell pretty quick if it's the bearings. If your bearings are good then you know what it is not.

cassio said:
oh hey i know
i know

after u lifted with out getting a adjustable trac bar ur axle shifted to the passenger side therefore the driver side tire sits closer to the control arms
causing them to rub on them

look at ur lower arms on ur driver side i bet u will see some marks were the tires been rubbing

cas
no lca rubbing. i got 4" backspaced wheels and at full lock they don't touch at all. i'd know if it was a tire rubbing. cuz i'd feel it in the steering wheel. this issue can't be felt in the wheel at all.

edit: only other thing i can think of is maybe a rear wheel bearing. as i haven't ruled those out.

its just hard as hell to diagnos cuz i have to be moving and turning left.

Tre said:
ya thats exactly it. it sounds exactly like it would be a ujoint or wheel bearing. but thats all been changed.

well i've ordered some rusty's 4.5" coil springs to rid my jeep of 3" worth of spacers. i'll see what that does.
if I were you I would do the hose trick while you have the coil off off the jeep... then you wont have to worry about it down the road... plus it will give you a little extra lift... like I said a little... :D

i also had similar issue, when the steering is fully locked one way or the other. it started on left hand turns (hard) and slowly it became either direction. (NO LOCKER) (some lca rubbing, but no issues there)

i found it was the springs (rusty's 4.5) catching on the bumpstops....

feel the leading inner edge of the springs and if you feel any grooves or sharp edges, burrs anything like that.... bingo.

I never thought about the hose over the spring thing, but that's a GREAT idea. I just dropped my front end and muscled the springs 180 degrees, so now the vertical arch is leaning the other direction...

just a suggestion for something to check....

it only does this at low speed, with the wheels close to fully locked...

KA BAM!!!!!! super loud...

so yes, it is unloading the whole jeep against one spring. (I also took an angle grinder to smooth the edge of the lip it was catching on....)

it never did that when i bought it and i know for sure that the springs weren't like that when i bought it, because i put it on a lift provided by the seller before i purchased it. just happened in the last 2 months.

hope you find it, good luck.

Back