• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damn thing wont start!

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
I have had this problem once before where I would get in and try and start it and nothing...no clicking, doesnt turn over, nothing. The first time it did this I messed with putting it in different gears etc. and after a while of messing with it the damn thing fired right up without any problems. The battery is fine so I took it in to a local shop and they said the shift linkage needed to be adjusted.
Well here I am about a month later and I get in to move it a few feet so I could move another car then got back in and, well you got it...nothing. I messed with this thing and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Sean....

if its an auto it could be a neutral safety switch, ive had the same problem in the past, it could also be the starter solenoid relay going bad

had similar probllems with a bad starter. If its over 100k, IMO it needs a new one anyway, or a good rebuild. Next time see if tapping lightly on the starter works

RyanM said:
had similar probllems with a bad starter. If its over 100k, IMO it needs a new one anyway, or a good rebuild. Next time see if tapping lightly on the starter works

It only has 85K on it. Is their a way to check to see if it is the starter going out?

This type of intermittent starting problem can be caused by the NSS and the starter. You can pull the starter and have it bench tested. That will tell you if it's the starter of the NSS. If you have never cleaned your NSS this might be the issue.

Onkover said:
This type of intermittent starting problem can be caused by the NSS and the starter. You can pull the starter and have it bench tested. That will tell you if it's the starter of the NSS. If you have never cleaned your NSS this might be the issue.

Will any local auto parts store be able to bench test the starter? I have had the NSS cleaned once a couple of months ago when I took it in for the reverse lights not working but I am going to pull it apart and clean it again.

Most all auto parts stores will bench a starter for you. IF this is not the issue then you may want to make sure that the NSS is adjusted properly and tight. If all this checks out then then next step would be the ignition switch

Onkover said:
Most all auto parts stores will bench a starter for you. IF this is not the issue then you may want to make sure that the NSS is adjusted properly and tight. If all this checks out then then next step would be the ignition switch

How do you adjust the NSS? In the write ups I have seen it only tells you how to clean it but not how to adjust it. Do you know of a write up on how to adjust it?

Back