• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 instrument cluster swap

jsorrels

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched the forums so hopefully this is not a duplicate. I just bought my fifth XJ, and intend to swap out the idiot light cluster with an analog instrument cluster including the temp and oil pressure gauges.

I have read a few posts and am not clear on which years the sensors would have to also be replaced, this one is a 1995 Sport 4X4.

Since my fourth XJ (1989 Laredo) now is broke in now at 260K+ miles, I have given it to my son (he did most of the building anyway). What great truck!

Thanks in advance.

Very timely thread. I just picked up an instrument cluster on eBay to do the swap and I was wondering what the oil and coolant sensor part numbers were.

Ideally I'd like to make the odometers match. What's the best way to do this?

Just swapped clusters in my MJ yesterday, as a matter of fact. Literally a plug-and-play operation, but I’m gonna spring for new sending units because the coolant gauge is reading in the 240-250 range, and oil pressure is anywhere from 40-85 psi. I don’t think that’s quite accurate LOL :roll: . But the tach and the voltage gauge work fine, and the bonus is I now have a resettable trip-odometer! (and the new cluster has about 4K less miles on it than the old one...close enough for me not to worry about it)

Jeff

Old cluster, yuck!:

Picture004.jpg

One style of speedometer end (I forgot to get a pic of the corresponding cable end, but will soon):

Picture005.jpg

new cluster:

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Jeff in VA said:
Just swapped clusters in my MJ yesterday, as a matter of fact. Literally a plug-and-play operation, but I’m gonna spring for new sending units because the coolant gauge is reading in the 240-250 range, and oil pressure is anywhere from 40-85 psi. I don’t think that’s quite accurate LOL :roll: . But the tach and the voltage gauge work fine, and the bonus is I now have a resettable trip-odometer! (and the new cluster has about 4K less miles on it than the old one...close enough for me not to worry about it)

Jeff

Old cluster, yuck!:

Picture004.jpg

One style of speedometer end (I forgot to get a pic of the corresponding cable end, but will soon):

Picture005.jpg

new cluster:

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I can't figure out how the connectors in the back of the cluster I got off of eBay come off...

I might be enlisting you in helping me with this. I'm in Lynchburg. :wave1:

Are you talking about the two large multi-wire connectors that plug into the two slots (one in the center of the cluster and the other on the end where the brake/seatbelt/4WD/etc. lights are? If so, squeeze them at the top and bottom, and carefully wiggle them back and forth.

Jeff

Thanks for the advise all, swap went smooth all gauges operating properly after swapping the temp (head) and oil pressure sensor. Nice to have gauges again.

Back