• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone ever swap out the ABS

Dave-O

NAXJA Forum User
CRAP? I have a 91 xj limited addition 4.0 with ABS, the controller took a dump on me and pulling the relays is/was a temporay fix. I want to change out the ABS and go conventional (the controller is a 1000.00 part, no thanks). I have been told this could be done. I have obtained a proportion valve out of a 89 cherokee limited addition and am looking into getting the master and booster for either an 88 or 89 cherokee. What will be involved in doing this? I have obviously never done something like this so any and all help is appreciated.
thanks gang,
Dave-O

First your ABS system is a Bendix 9 and is on a lifetime, recall from the dealership and is repairable for free.

Second the ABS swap has been done on here a lot.

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

FYI I am still running the Bendix 9 on my 90. Never really gave me any problems except my pump is cycling every 2 times i brake. Im taking it to the dealer on monday to get the parts all swapped out again.

I took it to the dealer and checked for recalls, only three parts (none of which were the controller unfortionatly) are on the recall. But they happily charged me 90.00 to tell me that the controller was my (jeeps) problem.
Thank You for posting the link, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Dave-O

Yea well you are talking about the computer??? Just pull the ABS BATT fuse and disable the ABS computer. The system will just run with non assisted ABS. The ABS computer in the Bendix 9 actually will cause you to get into a wreck. If all the rest of you parts are good (acuator, accumilator, and motor) thats all you need. Here is a link to the recall. It covers the Actuator and the pump. I does not cover the accumilator. The accumilator is the black ball deal right next to the actuator (in the place where the MC would be) These can be had for about 75bux at dealer but finding some at the junk yard could fair you much better. Also be very affraid of this part. You MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST make sure the whole system is been relived of pressure before removing. But back to your problem just pull the ABS BATT fuse and you will resume normal braking. Any more questons just PM me. Here is a letter for the recall.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Recall 96V260000: ABS Hydraulic Pump Failure
relates to: Chryser recall notice #702

Vehicles equipped with antilock brake system (ABS).

Antilock brake system (ABS) hydraulic control unit can experience excessive brake actuator piston seal wear which could cause pump-motor deterioration.

If this occurs, the ABS function would be lose and reduced power assist would be experienced during vehicle braking. The instrument panel warning lights will signal system impairment and the base manual brakes will remain functional.

Dealers will test the vehicle's ABS and repair as necessary. The warranty on all ABS components will be extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles (except for the brake actuator piston assembly and the pump-motor assembly which will have a lifetime coverage). Owners will be reimbursed for previous ABS component repair costs.

Owner Notification began April 24, 1997. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

Just to make it crystal-clear to everyone - this ONLY affects Bendix-ABSed XJs. In short: check with your local dealer if you have any doubts, but for the most part '92 and up are safe.

Back