• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm bolt question

Did any XJs come with hex-head upper control arm bolts (axle side of the control arm)? If so, what years? I had to really mutilate all four control arm bolts to get the D30 out of my 1990 XJ. I think I'll just buy new LCA bolts from the dealer, but I want to get hex-head bolts for the uppers instead of the stock Torx heads.

If no XJs came stock with hex-head bolts, does anyone know offhand the size/pitch/length of the bolts I need?

Not all came from the factory with Torx head bolts, i have factory hex head bolts in mine. Offhand i dont remember if mine are original to my XJ...or came from an axle i pulled at a u-pull. I usually keep spare bolts in bottom of tool box.

Not sure about years but my '92 just had upper axle side bushings put it and I think my mech used a torx head and a 15mm wrench to loosen and tighten them. I'm not sure on the torque settings, he just tighten them till stop but they seem to be doing fine. As long as the diameter part that goes in the sleeve is the same, I don't see why you can't use whatever head you choose? HTH

On my 96 all the control arm bolts were hex head.
Wayne

What grade are they, five? If I had gotten them out in one piece I would have just gone to a home improvement store and picked up some hex heads, but they're pretty messed up. I cut them in half with my thick grinding wheel, since I was out of cutting wheels, and they sorta melted all funny where I cut them.

Though I suppose I could just measure the width and length of the threadless part, and just buy hex-heads. Maybe I'll check that out first; I kinda need them in a hurry so I'd prefer not to order them.

Mambeu said:
What grade are they, five? If I had gotten them out in one piece I would have just gone to a home improvement store and picked up some hex heads, but they're pretty messed up. I cut them in half with my thick grinding wheel, since I was out of cutting wheels, and they sorta melted all funny where I cut them.

Though I suppose I could just measure the width and length of the threadless part, and just buy hex-heads. Maybe I'll check that out first; I kinda need them in a hurry so I'd prefer not to order them.

I have torx head in my 87, only on the front of the UCA. I currently have them out of the jeep, so when I get home I can measure them all.

IntrepidXJ said:
i don't remember the size off the top of my head, but i should still have the box in my garage, and can check for you when i get home and post it up here
I took my broken bolts down to Lowe's today and picked up some grade eight replacements. The bolts I got for the UCAs appear to be 1/16" too wide to fit into the bushing (should have gone with 3/8" instead of 7/16", I guess), but the new LCA bolts look like they'll be okay.

The stealership prices are on CA bolts is OUTRAGOUS!!! Something near $10 each then a couple bucks each for the nuts!!!

They are grade 8.8 or 10.8 metric, I would just go to a good hardware store and buy Grade 8 bolts, 9/16 for the large size and ...shoot size on smaller escapes me...
Just bring the smaller bolt with you and eyeball it. I have done this MANY times just buy good fasteners, NOT HOME DEPOT/LOWES crap!!! MUST be GRADE 8. You'll be fine and save some seroius coin!!!

CW

Ok, I measured my bolts here are the dimensions.

Front UCA - M10 - 1.5 x 70mm Torx head
Back UCA - M10 -1.5 x 80mm Hex Flange head
LCA - M14 - 2.0 x 110mm Hex Head Flange
(2.0 thread pitch based on measurement since my thread gage didn't go that high)
Bolts are 10.9 grade.

HTH

Back