• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle info needed!!!!!!

crusTodd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Jeepers,
I am at the lift and diff stage of my build. I have a SUPER clean '94 with only 65K at this point. I've done almost all of the engine upgrades I'm gonna' do and now I'm on to the drive train. It's an ABS rig and it has the common 30/35 combo. I will only be running 31"s and an OME 3" lift from DPG offroad, and JKS UCA/LCA and track bar, etc... I want to do the Warn/Mile Marker freehub conversion, stronger front axles, re-gear to 4:10. Out back I'd like to do the 8.8, since I can get one with a 4:10 to start and it has the stronger axles and disc brakes.

QUESTIONS~

Does the feehub conversion result in a width increase ?

What is involved in the 8.8 swap? I know M.O.R.E. makes a kit for the axle pads and shock mounts, but they say it won't work on an ABS equipped rig. The member that can get me the 8.8 says that the ABS can just be disconnected. TRUE? Does it effect the other systems on the rig? Can I remove the WHOLE ABS system?

I will also be using a Tom Woods SYE/driveline kit and I'm aware of the pinion adapter needs.

Has anyone had experience with the Daystar bumpstops? Any adviceis appreciated. I not really a mechanic, but I have a VERY experieced friend from my work doin' all the install. I just want to have all the corrct parts to start with.

Thanks to all,
crusT~

The ABS is very easy to take out it runs through the body in the compartment below the rear seat you just lift up the carpet and unplug the rear ABS plugs from the larger harness (i believe the connectors are red and grey) the feed the wires through the body and unclip them. takes about 5 minutes. the check abs light turns on but everything still runs fine

I'm almost done with the 8.8 swap myself. It's a pretty massive housing (compared to the 35) and with disk brakes for $100, can't beat it. With that being said, it will cost you more depending on how you go. I put in the Superior Super 88 kit, which is really easy to install. That kit widens the track by 1.5-inches so it will match your front. It also adds 4340 shafts with c-clip eliminators and super beefy bearings. Now that I've done it though, I have to say that a set of spacers might be not only cheaper, but make it much easier to get spare shafts as there are Explorers all over the junkyards.

I looked at the M.O.R.E. kit, but it was a little pricey and I was already buying a bunch of stuff from T&T customs, so I went with one of their U-bolt eliminator kits. It is really nice and you can add lift depending on the size you get.

Good luck.

The 8.8 is a bad azz swap. I just finished mine. I did the same as you. I got a 4.10 limited slip disk brake 8.8 from the junkyard pulled for $220. It is really strait foward to install. Make sure all the brakes are good and the lines. Don't buy the kit from more it is super expensive. Buy universal shock and spring mounts from a local offroad shop and the total should only be about $50. Buy the u joint adapter from more, and then put it all together. You cant use the ford abs on the jeep, but you can just remove all your abs stuff and unscrew the light in the dash for the abs. Later! :passgas:

sheeks175 said:
The 8.8 is a bad azz swap. I just finished mine. I did the same as you. I got a 4.10 limited slip disk brake 8.8 from the junkyard pulled for $220. It is really strait foward to install. Make sure all the brakes are good and the lines. Don't buy the kit from more it is super expensive. Buy universal shock and spring mounts from a local offroad shop and the total should only be about $50. Buy the u joint adapter from more, and then put it all together. You cant use the ford abs on the jeep, but you can just remove all your abs stuff and unscrew the light in the dash for the abs. Later! :passgas:

I also did the swap, as far as the perches and shock mounts go, I put new perches on, but I reused the shock mounts, just welded them up higher on the axle. As far as the u-joint adapted if you don't want to pay the money for that, just get a conversion u joint. it's a 1330-1310, and you can reuse the ford flat flange, and yoke. I have some pics if you want to see them.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
I also did the swap, as far as the perches and shock mounts go, I put new perches on, but I reused the shock mounts, just welded them up higher on the axle. As far as the u-joint adapted if you don't want to pay the money for that, just get a conversion u joint. it's a 1330-1310, and you can reuse the ford flat flange, and yoke. I have some pics if you want to see them.

Justin
I would like to see pics of this.

" Does the front hub conversion add width to the front end?" Yes by about 7/8" PER SIDE....or roughly 2" overall....just did one on one of my MJs...NOW lets see me have front shaft vibe probs on the highway...:lecture:

Back