• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Refrigerant?

XJ Samo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Im an HVAC Tech. But I'm having the hardest time figureing out which refigerant my jeep has in it or should I say had in it. I have little to know experiance with car A/C, princables are the same just different connections (are the connections for R12 different from R134a on a car compressor?).
I have no idea if or when the compressor has or has not been replaced and the label panel on the side of it is warn out and only has the serial number left so it is no good to me. Thanks for listening more of a rant than a question not that any help cherfully offered will be turned down.
Thanks, Sam

The Cherokees went to R134 for the 1994 model year. The R12 and R134 systems use different connectors.

I recharged the ac in my 94 last spring, and since I didn't know which one it had then, I just bought a retrofit kit that would work either way. Included 3 cans of R134, the recharge tool/gun thing, and the adapters to change from R12 to R134.

Didn't end up needing the adapters, but the kit was only $40 at Advance.

HTH

lawsoncl said:
Assuming you're talking abou the 1988 in your profile, it would be R12.

99% probability that you can tell by the fitting on the low pressure side. If it is a standerd R-12 fitting it is still R-12 (the 1988 Jeep). If it has the new style quick connect (not threaded, but a quick connect push/pull style male connector) than it is 99% probable that it is was changed out to R-134a.

To further comlicate issues, there is some other stuff out there like Freeze 12 which is mostly R-134a that some people have used. If you are getting ready to service it you need to think about the different oil issues too! if yours was upgraded to R-134a it may have a mix of mineral oil (R-12 lube) and POA oil (that mixes with R-134a and mineral oil!!!), or it might have been a complete flush and replacement of oil with one of the 2 R-134a oils.

Since you are an HVAC tech, if you have an electronic leak detector or access to one, and if there is any R-12 left in the system (meaning it last had R-12 in it!!!) you could crack open the inlet fitting for a second and test for R-12 with the leak detector. R-134a does not register on the old style electronic R-12 leak detectors!!!!:D

Back